• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon

I know a fair few of you are working / living there. Got the chance of a role there myself but was wondering what the commute to the town centre is like. I'm about 60 miles away & would be coming in on the A361 via Devizes and Wroughton. Anyone?

I'm sure DimPrawn will put you in touch with his chauffeur, he should know.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

That would be a tulipe commute.

Devizes is a traffic bottleneck and the road through avebury to Wroughton is narrow twisty and some burk will be doing 30mph all the way along.

Getting into the town centre would not be too much of a problem, once you reach Swindon.

Comment

Swindon doesn't suffer major traffic problems due to our inovative use of rounderbouts. Devizes to Swindon TC will take approx 25 mins.

Comment

The best thing about Swindon is that there are many roads our of it.

Once you get out, there is some of the best and most interesting countryside in the country.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
            Swindon doesn't suffer major traffic problems due to our inovative use of rounderbouts. Devizes to Swindon TC will take approx 25 mins.
            You tried that in rush hour?

Comment

Your avin a larf- it took me 1h40 to get from the magic roundabout to the M4 last time I was there.

PZZ

Comment

Roundabouts like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R..._%28Swindon%29

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  You tried that in rush hour?
                  Yes, I used to comute to Shepton Mallet via Devizes.

Comment

IIRC there's a country lane route around Devizes where you can avoid that bottleneck. It was more coming in via Wroughton that I thought could be problematic.

Comment

Working...
                    X