• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid things you've done...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid things you've done...

Inspired by the 'Back in the land of the living' thread...

6 weeks ago I bought a big power kite and took it straight down to the beach despite being warned that I should take a lesson or two, I thought 'flip it' how hard can it be?

After an hour of working out how to set the thing up I got it airborne... 2 minutes later I did a 'Superman' (I am told this is the correct kiting term) and ended up in a crumpled heap 30m further down the beach... 4 hours later after much waiting/fainting in A&E I was in a hospital bed with 3 broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a punctured lung, 4 days later I was allowed home.

Like a true contractor 1 week later (with a lot of pain killers) I was back at work.

Stupid or what.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

lol epic fail

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Stupid or what.
      Possibly.

Nevertheless, I admire your spirit of Daring Do and your disdain for lessons, reading manuals, and all that.

You must be a bit of a mad bastard though.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I can knock that into a cocked hat.

I moved to Swindon.

Comment

Stupid thing ....

spoilt for choice, but I'd say getting sick.

Could have been worse, it could have been getting sick while abroad.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Inspired by the 'Back in the land of the living' thread...

6 weeks ago I bought a big power kite and took it straight down to the beach despite being warned that I should take a lesson or two, I thought 'flip it' how hard can it be?

After an hour of working out how to set the thing up I got it airborne... 2 minutes later I did a 'Superman' (I am told this is the correct kiting term) and ended up in a crumpled heap 30m further down the beach... 4 hours later after much waiting/fainting in A&E I was in a hospital bed with 3 broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a punctured lung, 4 days later I was allowed home.

Like a true contractor 1 week later (with a lot of pain killers) I was back at work.

Stupid or what.
            Your kite pwnd you.
            You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Mud

Funny, I'd have thought you'd have had a soft landing at Brean!

Comment

Many years ago working in a lab there was an old piece of kit that was never used, lots of dials, knobs, lights etc. In a prominent place was a socket with a small plate above it saying '500V DC', in a passing moment I wondered 'is this thing live?' and poked it with a finger.

You can guess the rest...
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Went out the house once without my keys and shut the door behind me which had a yale lock. Now the mortice lock on the porch door which was never locked had been locked this time.

So I was shut in between two locked doors.

After some time an ice cream man came down the street so waving like a lunatic persuaded him to come over and knock on next door for the spare key.

Comment

I once thought it a good idea to unfreeze the lock on my car by blowing into it one frosty morning. My lips stuck instantly to the chrome and I had to pull them away. It was some time before I could whistle I can tell you.

Comment

Working...
                    X