• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Company formation (doing it yourself)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Company formation (doing it yourself)

Hi,

I am new here, and new to this limited company formation mumbo jumbo so would like a little help. I promise to be a regular contributor to this site and am not a hit and run kind of member and will pass on the good deed.

Currently with an umbrella (parasol).

I've used the quickformations.com website mentioned in the other thread and have setup my own company - just recieved the following documents in email :

IncorporationCertificate.pdf
    Memorandum_of_Assocation.pdf
    Articles_of_Assocation.pdf

Do I need anything more ?

So, what are the next steps e.g. business account, vat registeration etc. How do I leave parasol (e.g. can I even do this mid contract ?).

Cheers

Get the Guide to Freelancing from www.pcg.org.uk (and seriously consider joining BTW) which will answer most questions. Basically you need the company, VAT registration, bank account and a competent IT-Freelancer-capable accountant (SJD, 1stAccountancy or the like). You would not go far wrong to have anti IR35-investigaion insurance (bundled wth PCG membership or from people like QDOS, but compare them carefully) and possibly PI at between £450 to £800 pa. Ferarri, Rolex, second houses and £3k laptop can wait a few weeks.

And don't forget the spurs and the cowboy hat...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Malvolio, I am impressed, you used to be a bit rude to the newbies!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Nah, they're too easy a target these days. I must be getting old...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          Get the Guide to Freelancing from www.pcg.org.uk (and seriously consider joining BTW) which will answer most questions. Basically you need the company, VAT registration, bank account and a competent IT-Freelancer-capable accountant (SJD, 1stAccountancy or the like). You would not go far wrong to have anti IR35-investigaion insurance (bundled wth PCG membership or from people like QDOS, but compare them carefully) and possibly PI at between £450 to £800 pa. Ferarri, Rolex, second houses and £3k laptop can wait a few weeks.

In amongst all of that you also need employers liability insurance and third party public liability insurance. you can't legally trade in the UK without the public one and you can't employee people (including yourself without the employee one)

Comment

True - my PI includes all three, so I tend to forget the distinction!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Essential, pardner. Don't want any posse mistakin' yuh fur an Indian.

Comment

I wasn't going to say that...

Whatever happened to subtlety and hidden meanings anyway?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks all who replied.

I will head on over to PCG and see what they have in store for me.

/giddyup

Comment

Quick Question

True - my PI includes all three, so I tend to forget the distinction!
                    Whats PI ?

Comment

Working...
                    X