PDA

View Full Version : Responding to interview questions

Slumdog
31st October 2009, 12:28
How do you respond if you cannot answer a question during an interview?

JonSmile
31st October 2009, 12:39
do the politician thing and answer the question with another question

or just keep talking long enough that they forget the question they have asked..

Halcyon
31st October 2009, 13:12
Depends, what sort of question you are talking about. My response would differ depending on whether it was a highly technical question, or (say) one regarding where I was born or what my middle name is...

Slumdog
31st October 2009, 13:23
Depends, what sort of question you are talking about. My response would differ depending on whether it was a highly technical question, or (say) one regarding where I was born or what my middle name is...
how would you responed to a highly technical question?

BolshieBastard
31st October 2009, 13:27
I wouldnt disclose how I deal with this on a board. I may be up against someone for the role who doesnt yet know how to respond and by giving clues away here, lessen my chances of success.

Doggy Styles
31st October 2009, 13:47
How do you respond if you cannot answer a question during an interview?Pretend you didn't hear him and start staring out of the window.

Zippy
31st October 2009, 13:50
If you haven't got a clue say so, if you have a slight clue then ask a couple of questions to clarify and talk around the subject.

basshead
31st October 2009, 14:04
"That would be an ecumenical matter."

Paddy
31st October 2009, 15:14
How do you respond if you cannot answer a question during an interview?

Think about the question they have asked and explain to them how you would solve it. Explain to them the steps you would take to solve the problem or how you would go about finding what to do. I have even answered with RTFM in an interview and I got the contract!

EternalOptimist
31st October 2009, 15:37
Think about the question they have asked and explain to them how you would solve it. Explain to them the steps you would take to solve the problem or how you would go about finding what to do. I have even answered with RTFM in an interview and I got the contract!

yep.

One gig, I was the lead interviewer and the PM was specific - no bull sh 1 tters.

So one of the three questions was deliberately unanswerable, and some of the crap we were shovelled was hilarious. It was such an eyeopener that I have used it several times since. It sure weeds out the BS blowhards.

So I agree with Paddy here. 'I have no idea, but this is how I go about solving problems'

:rolleyes:

NickFitz
31st October 2009, 16:23
In response to a highly technical question: "I don't know, but I know where to look it up."

I said this in an interview the other year. One of the interviewers turned to the other and said, "Actually we should stop using that question. Nobody bothers remembering shit like that, you just Google it." :laugh

thunderlizard
31st October 2009, 16:30
Smile and say "I have no idea, but I find your interest in such things very heartwarming. Well done you."

nomadd
31st October 2009, 18:13
I wouldnt disclose how I deal with this on a board. I may be up against someone for the role who doesnt yet know how to respond and by giving clues away here, lessen my chances of success.

That's the spirit. All for one, and one for all. :)

Nomadd

Halcyon
31st October 2009, 19:39
how would you responed to a highly technical question?

Honesty is always the best policy!

I was being quizzed on some Oracle business object which I 'fessed up that I had never heard of, and the interviewer looked pleased and said "good, 'cos we wrote it in house". Got the gig, good gig too.

Halcyon
31st October 2009, 19:41
That's the spirit. All for one, and one for all. :)

Nomadd

or from Blackadder, "All for one, and every man for himself" :smile