• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

U.K. streamable HD/DVD quality movies to a PC service ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.K. streamable HD/DVD quality movies to a PC service ?

Anyone know of anything out there that will enable me to pick a selection of any HD/DVD quality movie and pay for it and then stream it down to the PC ?

I know in American they have Netflix but its unavailable here in the UK (I think Lovefilm.com is in negotiations with them to bring the service to the UK).

Anyone got any ideas, I may one day say right I want to watch 'A Matter Of Life Or Death' or the next say, well today I want something new so I'll watch "Alvin And The Chipmunks : The Movie" or "The Reader".

I just want more choice !!!!! anyone know of a service or a way of getting a U.S. located service that will enable me to get those movies streamed on demand ? note: there has to be a wide selection and I mean 1000s of titles not the limited say 500, that you get from FilmFlex on Virgin TV.

NSFW
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      Anyone know of anything out there that will enable me to pick a selection of any HD/DVD quality movie and pay for it and then stream it down to the PC ?

I know in American they have Netflix but its unavailable here in the UK (I think Lovefilm.com is in negotiations with them to bring the service to the UK).

Anyone got any ideas, I may one day say right I want to watch 'A Matter Of Life Or Death' or the next say, well today I want something new so I'll watch "Alvin And The Chipmunks : The Movie" or "The Reader".

I just want more choice !!!!! anyone know of a service or a way of getting a U.S. located service that will enable me to get those movies streamed on demand ? note: there has to be a wide selection and I mean 1000s of titles not the limited say 500, that you get from FilmFlex on Virgin TV.
      The Xbox live movie service is provided by Netflix IIRC?

I expect that there's a minimum standard of infrastructure that needs to be met before Netflix proper would invest, the exec's are still rolling around on the floor laughing after looking at the UK.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Plus they will be looking at how they can charge the US consumer $1 per film and the UK consumer £5 per film and ensure we get to see them 6 months after the rest of the world.

Comment

Do you need "special" software to download and join movie parts together? And is the final file in mpeg format (rather than say .exe)?

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

Itunes
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I can normally get a movie through Torrent within 30 mins, so I choose a movie, go take a dump, by the time I have flushed, to movie it ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Itunes
                Ditto here: I don't have Sky, so iTunes is a godsend for HD TV content.

I believe Lovefilm have a download service for select titles but I've never tried it.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X