PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 UK Businessmen/women

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 19:32
Inspired by the survey (sticky: national freelancers day), I'm interested in the panel's view on their favourite UK businessmen/women, and why.

I found this one quite hard to answer. One choice was Richard Branson - purely because he's a plucky, winsome chap. The other would be James Dyson, for the grassroots beginnings and engineer's determination, but the third crown is either for the head of the Co-op, or the John Lewis Partnership, for their ethical leadership in UK industry.

Thoughts?

MrMark
2nd November 2009, 19:39
I'm rather impressed by that Tim Martin chappy. Ok, so Wetherspoons aren't to everyone's taste, but he's managed to succeed and expand in a field where the established mob have dive-bombed - look at all the pubs that have closed down.

HairyArsedBloke
2nd November 2009, 19:47
Inspired by the survey (sticky: national freelancers day), I'm interested in the panel's view on their favourite UK businessmen/women, and why.

I found this one quite hard to answer. One choice was Richard Branson - purely because he's a plucky, winsome chap. The other would be James Dyson, for the grassroots beginnings and engineer's determination, but the third crown is either for the head of the Co-op, or the John Lewis Partnership, for their ethical leadership in UK industry.

Thoughts?

Never trust a hippie.

Can't stand the man.

TheFaQQer
2nd November 2009, 19:48
I went for AtW, DimPrawn and AndyW.

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 19:54

:laugh

Fair enough. But if you were to answer it seriously... ?

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 19:56
Thinking about it some more, I should have included Anita Roddick, founder of the Body Shop.

MrMark
2nd November 2009, 20:00
Never trust a hippie.

Can't stand the man.

It's the fixed, fake smile that's the giveaway, I find. A characteristic he shares with a certain A. Blair.

HairyArsedBloke
2nd November 2009, 20:03
It's the fixed, fake smile that's the giveaway, I find. A characteristic he shares with a certain A. Blair.

Aye, I was going to mention that <censored> <censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored><censored> too.

AtW
2nd November 2009, 20:07

:hug:

I won't post My Lunch threads for a month now...

thunderlizard
2nd November 2009, 20:09
I think I had Dyson, Roddick and James Martin

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 20:13
:hug:

I won't post My Lunch threads for a month now...

:)

Keep up that kind of attitude and we'll all vote for you.

Congrats on the good press btw Mr Squirrel. Keep it up.
I still say you need to invest in some proper marketing/design.

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 20:16
James Martin

The chef?

AtW
2nd November 2009, 20:18
Congrats on the good press btw Mr Squirrel. Keep it up.
I still say you need to invest in some proper marketing/design.

Oh we are, just getting first things done first, some really Big SKA news pending ...

Alf W
2nd November 2009, 20:18
I would have had James Dyson down were he not a greedy sh1t-house that made 800 people redundant when he offshored production.

TimberWolf
2nd November 2009, 20:25
I would have had James Dyson down were he not a greedy tulip-house that made 800 people redundant when he offshored production.

I read his autobiography and came away with the distinct impression that he was a nasty bit of tulip. Although it's possible I suspected it before reading his book.

thunderlizard
2nd November 2009, 20:30
The chef?

No, not the chef! The real James Martin (http://www.jamesmartin.com/)

TimberWolf
2nd November 2009, 20:34

Thoughts?

Pass

AtW
2nd November 2009, 20:37
I would have had James Dyson down were he not a greedy tulip-house that made 800 people redundant when he offshored production.

Do you think that manufacturing is a viable option in UK with all the employment taxes, currency risk etc? He wasn't the first to close his factory - if he was greedy he'd jump on it long time ago.

I don't know all the details to be certain, but it seems to me it is a bit premature to blame his greed for that decision.

HairyArsedBloke
2nd November 2009, 20:41
The chef?

Isn't he the one who shot that pikey kid?

realityhack
2nd November 2009, 20:50

Aha. Interesting chap. Thanks for the link. :emb

cupidstunt
2nd November 2009, 20:51

Do they still need to be alive?

1) From what I read Andrew Carnegie was a decent chap.
2)Don't mind Branson, not sure why it is fashionable to hate him as much as many do.
3) Siegmund Warburg

DiscoStu
2nd November 2009, 20:51
I voted for The Millionaire DimPrawn.

gingerjedi
2nd November 2009, 20:52
I'm rather impressed by that Tim Martin chappy. Ok, so Wetherspoons aren't to everyone's taste, but he's managed to succeed and expand in a field where the established mob have dive-bombed - look at all the pubs that have closed down.

Having 'Abbot Ale' on tap at £2.25 is good enough to get my vote.:yay:

norrahe
2nd November 2009, 20:57
Having 'Abbot Ale' on tap at £2.25 is good enough to get my vote.:yay:

he's succeeded in setting up a cheap nasty environment where chavs like to go for poor quality beer and food, make hay while the sun shines, I suppose :frown

TimberWolf
2nd November 2009, 20:57
Do they still need to be alive?

1) From what I read Andrew Carnegie was a decent chap.
2)Don't mind Branson, not sure why it is fashionable to hate him as much as many do.
3) Siegmund Warburg

Ditto, I don't mind Branson either. Never heard of the other two.

Board Game Geek
2nd November 2009, 21:01
I personally cannot name any (they might exist however), since my criteria is different.

DiscoStu
2nd November 2009, 21:01
I also voted for sasguru.

cupidstunt
2nd November 2009, 21:03
I personally cannot name any (they might exist however), since my criteria is different.

I thought the only requirements were "your British favourite" :confused:

TimberWolf
2nd November 2009, 21:05
In 99.999999% of cases 'successful' businessmen are not personality types that an ordinary decent person would want to aspire to.

d000hg
2nd November 2009, 21:19
In 99.999999% of cases 'successful' businessmen are not personality types that an ordinary decent person would want to aspire to.The average CUK poster struggles to score 1 out of 3.

gingerjedi
2nd November 2009, 21:22
he's succeeded in setting up a cheap nasty environment where chavs like to go for poor quality beer and food, make hay while the sun shines, I suppose :frown

They have a far wider range of beer than a vast majority of pubs, why poor quality? I don't know which individual pubs you're referring to but the ones around Bristol are generally quite good.

d000hg
2nd November 2009, 21:33
They have a far wider range of beer than a vast majority of pubs, why poor quality? I don't know which individual pubs you're referring to but the ones around Bristol are generally quite good.I think it's just typical anti-chain mentality. Spoons tend to be clean and well-furnished, unlike a traditional local with beer-soaked carpets and seats that are falling part.

If you like a cosy traditional pub they can seem a bit soulless but they do much better than other chains - open fires, sofas, etc.

wurzel
2nd November 2009, 21:45
Surpised nobody's mentioned Martha Lane Fox. So i will. Phwoarr!:wink

cojak
2nd November 2009, 22:41

Thoughts?

I put down Martha Lane Fox...

cojak
2nd November 2009, 22:46
Surpised nobody's mentioned Martha Lane Fox. So i will. Phwoarr!:wink

..and I hadn't read wurzel's post either...:laugh

Clippy
2nd November 2009, 23:20
Interesting question.

Not my choices as I would have to give it some more thought but how about:

Suralan Sugar - not a fan of his but have to admire where he has got to through hard graft

Gordon Ramsey - as above

James Caan - bit of a tw@t sometimes but again, made it through hard graft

TimberWolf
3rd November 2009, 00:03
Donald Trump (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_over), chairman and CEO of the Trump Organization, is on American Apprentice, BBC1 currently. Not that I am voting for him or that he is even British. Do they have to be born British or does buying chunks of Scotland count? What successful businessman has allegiance with a country these days?

Board Game Geek
3rd November 2009, 00:42
In 99.999999% of cases 'successful' businessmen are not personality types that an ordinary decent person would want to aspire to.

Spot On Mr Wolf !

MrMark
3rd November 2009, 09:35
I think it's just typical anti-chain mentality. Spoons tend to be clean and well-furnished, unlike a traditional local with beer-soaked carpets and seats that are falling part.

If you like a cosy traditional pub they can seem a bit soulless but they do much better than other chains - open fires, sofas, etc.

Yes, given the choice (and a full wallet) I'd probably chose a traditional pub. Having said that I'm glad Wetherspoons exist - a good place to have breakfast or just a coffee if you're not drinking anything alcoholic. They normally have a good choice of continental beers and wines too. They expose just how much the major breweries/pubcos were ripping us off.

TheFaQQer
3rd November 2009, 10:34

The Dyson Jobless-800: it really sucks!