• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sometimes, you just can't win

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes, you just can't win

Client approaches me for work direct. Skills that I have, and I can pick up some good ones by doing the gig. Location far from ideal, but not too bad.

Cut my rate by another 10% from last year so that I'm in with a shout.

Now they are worried that because the rate is so low, I might not stick out the 6 months if something better comes along. BUT, they haven't got the money to pay me any more.

I actually WANT this one!! Can't think of much that I can tell them that might mean that I get the work, though.

Clients are stupid sometimes.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

You need to look at it from a commercial point of view

Get the contract worded so that you can give no notice and you're contractually tied in.

Rework the payment method so that a lump sum is payable upon completion of the project.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Spacecadet is right. Sell it as a work package and maybe build in a couple of stage payments.

Edit: make sure they get some kind of useable deliverable per stage as it might calm their nerves. You might also like to point out that their 'leave if something better comes up' argument could apply to anyone
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Good point (about the no notice) - I will discuss it tomorrow with them and see what they say.

No doubt the idea of me not being able to give notice will cause some worry or other....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Make their nerves work to your advantage.

Get some work life balance goodies, get milestones not hours. Earn in your dressing gown!

Tell them if its comfy you aren't going to leave.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Good point (about the no notice) - I will discuss it tomorrow with them and see what they say.

No doubt the idea of me not being able to give notice will cause some worry or other....
            Well, it does sound exceedingly dodgy.

"Hi, and to reassure you that there is no hidden or ulterior motive on my part, I'm going to remove from my contract the ability for me to serve notice until the project is complete".

I'd be looking for the angle in that, trust me.

Everyone in business has a hidden agenda.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Well, it does sound exceedingly dodgy.

"Hi, and to reassure you that there is no hidden or ulterior motive on my part, I'm going to remove from my contract the ability for me to serve notice until the project is complete".

I'd be looking for the angle in that, trust me.

Everyone in business has a hidden agenda.
              The ulterior motive is that he's trying to get the gig!

The contract is there to make both parties feel comfortable with what is expected from the other. It desn't necessarily have to be something which either side is willing to go to court over but it is at the very least a declaration of intent.
              Sometimes the intent is backed up with money, hence my other suggestion of remodelling the payment structure so that some was held back, only to be released upon the competion of the contract. This makes better sense then the client trying to recoup percieved monetary loss from the contractor in the event of a serious breach i.e. early and unwarranted termination of the contract by the contractor.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                The ulterior motive is that he's trying to get the gig!
                That's the obvious motive.

Besides, you'd be making a rod to break your own back because putting in such a harsh clause would mean that you might specifically name exceptional exclusions to that clause.

Eg..except in the case of sudden death in the immediate family, and then the client will start to wonder if there is some sort of devious manufacture to the whole thing.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Tell the client to pay you the whole amount of the contract up front, that way you will feel compelled to finish the contract, because you are a decent person.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                    Tell the client to pay you the whole amount of the contract up front, that way you will feel compelled to finish the contract, because you are a decent person.
                    WHS
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X