• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT - Think Accountant Is Wrong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT - Think Accountant Is Wrong

I asked them to double check and they said I was wrong.

Suppose this

Company earns 10K and bills for 10K + VAT(@15%) == 11.5K

VAT at 10.5% is payable on the 11.5K AND NOT on the 10k

To me this smells wrong

Anyone else know for sure??

The Flat rate vat is paid on the gross invoice, so assuming the % rate is right, then the calculations looks correct.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

If you are an IT Contractor, the FRS VAT amount is 11.5% on £11.5k unless you are in your co's first 12 months of existence in which case a 1% discount is applied to make 10.5%. The FRS percentage is applied to the total income including VAT so your accountant is wrong.

Get a signed declaration from them they'll pay your fine if investigated by HMRC!

A lot of people are playing fast and loose regarding the FRS VAT percentage and operating on a percentage of less than 11.5% even where the discount isnt applicable.

Up to them but if they get investigated by HMRC...............................
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Looks right if you're in your first 12 months and on the 10.5% rate.

BTW If there is an error your accountant should pick it up at your year end and as long its under a certain amount, £2k i think - then you can just send them a cheque for the difference, or ask for a refund if its in your favour - anything over that I think they investigate more carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          If you are an IT Contractor, the FRS VAT amount is 11.5% on £11.5k unless you are in your co's first 12 months of existence in which case a 1% discount is applied to make 10.5%. The FRS percentage is applied to the total income including VAT so your accountant is wrong.

Get a signed declaration from them they'll pay your fine if investigated by HMRC!

A lot of people are playing fast and loose regarding the FRS VAT percentage and operating on a percentage of less than 11.5% even where the discount isnt applicable.

Up to them but if they get investigated by HMRC...............................
          erm....?

Comment

Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
            Looks right if you're in your first 12 months and on the 10.5% rate.

BTW If there is an error your accountant should pick it up at your year end and as long its under a certain amount, £2k i think - then you can just send them a cheque for the difference, or ask for a refund if its in your favour - anything over that I think they investigate more carefully.
            I continued to apply the discounted rate after the 12 mths, the accountant didn't pick it up and HMRC came round, did a check and found that I'd underpaid... They asked for money which was rather annoying. It's a common mistake, but HMRC don't remind you,so am assuming it's a bit of job creation by civil servants (force of darkness).

Also noticed that the current flat rate doesn't suit my company spend and I don't make a bean on the vat difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              erm....?
              WHS

Whoever said the FRS VAT payable is (in OP's case) = 11K5 x 10.5% is correct!

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                WHS

Whoever said the FRS VAT payable is (in OP's case) = 11K5 x 10.5% is correct!
                So you are paying VAT on the VAT payment received???

This is crazy. My income was 10K and I charged VAT on this 10K.

I do not understand how HMRC are expecting me to pay VAT On 11.5K

This is almost VAT on VAT

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                  Yup, but dey's da rulez.

Same with stamp duty on VATable commercial property. Buy a property for £1m, add VAT on, then pay stamp duty at 4% on the VAT inclusive price of £1.15m even if you're able to reclaim the VAT at a later date. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                    So you are paying VAT on the VAT payment received???

This is crazy. My income was 10K and I charged VAT on this 10K.

I do not understand how HMRC are expecting me to pay VAT On 11.5K

You make a sale £10,000 + VAT@15% = £11,500.

You have to pay 10.5% of the £11, 500 to customs, i.e. £1207.50

So of the £1500 VAT the government kindly allowed you to stick on top of your bill, you only have to pass on £1207.50 and the remaining £292.50 goes in your company's back pocket to help with your expenses. What's so crazy about that?

Example here if you still don't believe your accountant:
                    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim31585.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X