• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why only smoking? Let's ban drinking in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why only smoking? Let's ban drinking in public places

So now that the health nazis are going to save us from smoking when is drinking going to be banned. The effects of drinking are widely proven nowadays. So what are we waiting? I am tired of passive drinking in the pubs and don't want to have my clothes smelling of beer the next morning. It's time for all of us to get back to orange juices and sodas.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4466750.stm

The deadly toll of alcohol

Alcohol can cause liver damage and a range of cancer
    Football legend George Best has fought alcoholism for decades.

But the 59-year-old is just one of thousands of people who have suffered ill-health because of boozing.

Alcohol is up there as one of the biggest killers in the country. More than 6,500 people die each year in England and Wales because of alcohol though liver disease, cancer and alcohol poisoning.

But the impact of booze reaches much further than that. Another 30,000 deaths are linked to drinking and alcohol is estimated to cost the NHS £3bn.

The World Health Organization has identified it as the third highest risk to health in developed countries behind tobacco and raised blood pressure.

Colin Drummond, professor of addiction psychiatry at St George's Hospital Medical School in south London, said: "Alcohol is a major risk to public health. Smoking causes more deaths, but the number of smokers is on the decrease.

THE TOLL OF ALCOHOL
    Deaths - Linked to nearly 40,000 deaths a year, including the direct cause of 6,500, mainly through liver disease
    Cost - Estimated to cost the NHS £3bn in hospital services, according to the Royal College of Physicians
    Disease - Alcohol can cause liver problems, such as cirrhosis and alcohol hepatitis, as well as a range of cancers, heart disease, stroke and brain disorders
    Consumption - Some 8m people are hazardous drinkers - classed as having over the recommended daily limits - while 1.1m are said to be dependent on alcohol

"Drug taking only kills a few hundred in comparison, yet the government spends more on tackling that. Drinking, by comparison, is on the rise and too little is being done to help."

Consumption has been rising since the early 1990s, particularly among teenagers, as the price of drinks has fallen in relative terms.

Alcohol is the single biggest cause of liver disease - responsible for 80% of liver-related hospital admissions.

In the most severe cases, over consumption leads to liver cirrhosis, an irreversible condition which prevents the organ functioning and can lead to complete failure. One in 10 of these cases then go on to develop liver cancer.

Transplant

Alcohol-related liver disease accounts for about 5,000 deaths a year.

One option for people who develop liver problems is to have a liver transplant - as Mr Best did three years ago. One in 10 transplants are carried out because of alcohol abuse.

But alcohol can also help cause many other conditions, including heart disease, strokes, cancers of the breast, mouth and stomach, osteoporosis, brain disorders, such as dementia, and the stomach complaint gastritis.

The public is not aware enough of the damage alcohol can cause

Alcohol Concern spokeswoman

Research has also found that alcohol affects the immune system which some have suggested can have an impact on the progress of HIV.

And that is without counting the problems many people suffer with a hangover such as blurred vision, memory loss and the shakes.

A spokeswoman for Alcohol Concern said: "The public is not aware enough of the damage alcohol can cause.

"Too many people think their drinking is not a problem, but you do not need to be dependent on alcohol for it to cause short and long-term problems."

The charity estimates there are 8m hazardous drinkers - that is to say people who drink more than the recommended daily amounts of alcohol.

For women that is between two and three units - the equivalent of a large glass of wine - and for men between three and four units - a pint-and-a-half of lager.

"We need to address this and quickly," she added.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

The difference between alcohol and smoking is that if I drink I am not poisoning the person next to me,. If I smoke I am. Also drink in moderation is good for you one fag is always bad for you.

While it is true that those who drink to excess are likely to do themselves and others damage beer in moderation is actually good for you (as is wine)

Comment

I would read all that but there's a 24 hour pub that I need to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
        [CUT]Also drink in moderation is good for you one fag is always bad for you.
        It is indeed but now no doctor can claim that or they will be stoned. The problem with cigarettes is that they're more addictive than alcohol. That's it.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Not how much but what

Has anybody ever considered that in the UK at least, that part of the problem is what people drink as much as how much they drink.

Rumour has it that it takes 15 seconds to brew Stella with the aid of chemicals. Anybody ever felt the pain of a hangover caused by Smirnoff Ice?

Yes alchohol may be cheaper in relative terms, but maybe if they stopped serving that liquid sh!t that passes as beer(Stella/Carling/Krony etc), and stopped this chemical-pop cr@p we may cut down on liver and other physiological alchohol related ailments.

Anyway, I am off down to me 24 hour local for a pint of wifebeater, adios
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Well its all relative.

Given that work related stress kills many, why dont we just stop working and spend the whole day down the pub ?

Swings and roundabouts ... init Geez ?

Comment

The difference between alcohol and smoking is that if I drink I am not poisoning the person next to me,.

Very popular misconception.

You are not doing any damage directly to persons next to you, but after drinking to exces you are more likely to beat your wife / attack people / get into punch-ups / have accidents if driving / clog up already-struggling A&E depts - so you are doing damage to others. The only difference is in the directness of the damage.

Or by the same token, why are drugs illegal? Not doing any damage to anyone if I pop a few pills, am I?
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Timothy 5:23

Be no longer a drinker of water only, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities.

Comment

Or by the same token, why are drugs illegal? Not doing any damage to anyone if I pop a few pills, am I?

Yes you are guilty of tax evasion as you are not contributing to Mr Browns coffers as the drinkers and smokers do !

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                    The difference between alcohol and smoking is that if I drink I am not poisoning the person next to me,.

Very popular misconception.
                    [CUT]
                    Well, to be fair I feel very sorry for the people who have to work at the bar. They have no choice and 12 hours a day spent in a smoky room are certainly dangerous.*

*however, I don't feel sorry for the overreactions of people going there for a couple of hours, that isn't a lot more harmful than just being half an hour on a busy road.

Comment

Working...
                    X