PDA

View Full Version : At last, off the bench after 11 months

worzelGummidge
4th November 2009, 19:05
After being on the bench since last December 2008 I have just signed a twelve month contract which I can do while living at home.
Yippee !

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
Being off work for almost twelve months was a bit of a worry but I managed to keep myself busy very easily. I enjoyed the time off.

I did turn down some contracts that in retrospect I should not have in light of the length of time that I was off but that's just because I'm a fussy bugger.

Good luck to all out there still looking.
Keep busy and keep on looking but don't let Job searches take over your life. Enjoy the time off if you can.

EternalOptimist
4th November 2009, 19:06
:yay::yay:

sasguru
4th November 2009, 19:07
11 months :eek:
Well done chap.

pzz76077
4th November 2009, 19:10
Positive persistence pays.

(Theory proven by WG 11/2009).

PZZ

Churchill
4th November 2009, 19:34
:yay::yay:

WHS += 1;
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Ruse
4th November 2009, 19:50
Many congratulations, 12 months you're smokin' :smokin

Can't say I enjoy the bench after 6 months, not with all the bills and debts mounting up, too much uncertainty.

AtW
4th November 2009, 19:51
WHS += 1;
:yay: :yay: :yay:

:spel

asm
{
inc WHS
}

thunderlizard
4th November 2009, 19:53
That must be nice.

You're right not to lose your nerve and take on the bottomfeeder contracts too early. Hope it's a good contract!
tl

vandiss
4th November 2009, 20:00
:spel

asm
{
inc WHS
}

Shurely

WHS++

PRC1964
4th November 2009, 20:02
Nice one Worzel. That's a well polished bench you've left behind.

worzelGummidge
4th November 2009, 20:11
That must be nice.

You're right not to lose your nerve and take on the bottomfeeder contracts too early. Hope it's a good contract!
tl

Thanks. I have kept myself busy with lots of DIY and this is my third downturn so I knew the score but it was a bit of a worry.

The different thing this time around is that only the young, just out of school agents seem to bat an eye when faced with a CV containing my most recent contract being more then six months ago.

My previous longest length of time off was about three months back in 2002 but it did make a difference being busy with other things and not looking for roles. Spending three months looking for roles on Jobserve every hour or so is hard work and I feel for those out there doing that especially when dealing with young agents who no nothing about everything.

TiroFijo
4th November 2009, 20:35
After contracting since 2001 (all of it abroad) I've now taken a permy job that pays very well. Looking at the sh1te rates and the lack of contracts anyway I reckon I've done the right thing.

Platypus
4th November 2009, 20:50
Well done worzel !

wurzel
4th November 2009, 21:49
Well done. By the way, what area do you work in? I'm in c#/.Net 3.5 /C++ & I've been on the bench for 2 months now with just 1 interview so I'm expecting a long stint myself. :frown

RichardCranium
4th November 2009, 22:04
:yay:

The different thing this time around is that only the young, just out of school agents seem to bat an eye when faced with a CV containing my most recent contract being more then six months ago.That matches my experience.

I had a lovely call from a bloke from Parity today. "I called to let you know you can cross that gig off your list; I had already arranged interviews when I saw your CV. You shouldn't be on the bench. Can I make some suggestions about your CV? [he did and they made sense] And here's how to get into NPfIT if you want some of that work..."

I must have caught him on a very good day!

SantaClaus
4th November 2009, 22:47

That matches my experience.

I had a lovely call from a bloke from Parity today. "I called to let you know you can cross that gig off your list; I had already arranged interviews when I saw your CV. You shouldn't be on the bench. Can I make some suggestions about your CV? [he did and they made sense] And here's how to get into NPfIT if you want some of that work..."

Sorry, I just had to sit down in shock. I think you just mentioned that you found an agent who cared!

gingerjedi
4th November 2009, 23:03

That matches my experience.

The only decent agent I ever met now works for Parity, his initials weren't MM by any chance?

If I'm right he's good for a free lunch every other month.:D

TinTrump
5th November 2009, 06:01
Well done WG! And working from home too = :banana:

worzelGummidge
5th November 2009, 07:07
I do Unix infrastructure type work: middleware, security, backups, storage type work. I tried developer / programming but just lost interest.

DS23
5th November 2009, 09:30
:banana: to wg

Zippy
5th November 2009, 09:41
Congrats :banana:

stingman123
5th November 2009, 09:44
:banana:
Congrats, Beers?

lilelvis2000
5th November 2009, 10:00
Gosh! Though I would comment why you relied on agents to get work and not tried networking yourself to get contracts directly?

BoltonLad
5th November 2009, 10:05
Congrats!:happy

Pondlife
5th November 2009, 10:13
Excellent News.

TheFaQQer
5th November 2009, 11:51
WELS (What everyone else said!)

alreadypacked
5th November 2009, 12:09