• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buffett gambles £27bn on rail to get back on track

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffett gambles £27bn on rail to get back on track

Warren Buffett has placed the largest single wager of his investing career, gambling on "the economic future of the United States" by taking control of the American rail giant Burlington Northern Santa Fe in a $44bn (£27bn) deal.

Burlington is America's largest railway by revenue, operating freight across large swathes of the west and mid-west. Its tracks are also used by a variety of passenger services.

Mr Buffett believes that Burlington will benefit as the US economy recovers.

The septuagenarian billionaire argues that railway operators cannot do well unless the businesses and consumers who use the products they transport are beginning to spend again. "It's an all-in wager on the economic future of the United States," said Mr Buffett. "I love these bets."

In typical Buffett style, the cash-and-shares deal was struck in a 15-minute conversation with Matthew Rose, Burlington's chief executive.

It is the largest single investment Mr Buffett has made since taking control of Berkshire Hathaway, the investment conglomerate he has run since 1965.

It contrasts with his more recent deals, which have been big bets on the financial services sector including multi-billion dollar gambles on the recovery of shares in General Electric and Goldman Sachs, both of which have repaid him handsomely.

However, not all of his financial gambles have paid off, with 2008 going down as Berkshire's worst financial year since Mr Buffett took the helm, following a 62pc fall in profits and a drop in net worth of 9.6pc. (AtW's comment: - retard writer, only 9.6% paper net worth drop in 2008? That's pretty ******* good, he did not require bailout either. )

Berkshire is offering $26bn for the 77.4pc of Burlington it did not already own, 40pc in shares and the balance – $16bn – in cash, drawn equally from existing reserves and a bank syndicate. Berkshire will still have $20bn of cash.

Including Berkshire's previous investment and the assumption of $10bn of debt, the deal is worth $44bn.

----------

And who will be investing into UK railways? The French or ze Germans?

Does this mean those trains will have a Buffett car?

Comment

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Comment

Unfortunately, your display of self-righteousness has a bit of a flaw.

The investment was Tuesday's news and on Wednesday he got put on credit watch by S&P because of it.

Bloomberg: Berkshire May Lose AAA From S&P on Burlington Deal

Nov. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Warren Buffett’sBerkshire Hathaway Inc. is more likely to be stripped of its AAA rating by Standard & Poor’s after the company agreed yesterday to pay $26 billion to acquire railroad Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.

“This transaction will decrease the liquidity and capital adequacy of the insurance operations” at Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire, the ratings company said in a statement today placing Buffett’s firm on “CreditWatch with negative implications.”
        Alexi, leave business to the grown ups. Stick to SEO. Oh hang on, remember this.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

The investment was Tuesday's news and on Wednesday he got put on credit watch by S&P because of it.

Yes I am sure Buffet gives a tulip about S&P

Comment

I wish someone would fix the British railways. We don't have an extreme climate and the trains can be kept pretty full in our densely populated country... should be able to slash prices and keep it afloat.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Yes I am sure Buffet gives a tulip about S&P
              He fracking will when he get down graded and his finance costs shoot up as a result.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I saw the man himself on CNN this morning talking about this = not that convincing I have to say.

PZZ

Comment

He is moving into hard assets
                  He knows that dollar is fecked

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Alexi, leave business to the grown ups. Stick to SEO. Oh hang on, remember this.

AtW gets pwned again.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X