• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

salesman 'hurt' by wine prizes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

salesman 'hurt' by wine prizes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...24/ixhome.html

"A Muslim insurance salesman suffered religious discrimination because his employers offered only alcohol as a performance incentive, an employment tribunal heard.
    "

"Imran Khan, 25, claimed that the bottles of wine on offer put him at a disadvantage because, as a Muslim, he could not drink alcohol and was therefore unable to claim the prizes.

British-born Mr Khan, who works for Direct Line Insurance, is seeking damages for "hurt feelings" under the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003."

It will be interesting to see the court's verdict on this one.

Any guesses ?

Milan.

Erm he could have sold the prize or asked for it be exchanged!! Man I am getting so fed up with all this nonsense. Its open season on the British way of life!!
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

morning Chico,

it seems that another (ahem) colleague of a certain religion did just that, but for this gentleman that wasn't enough...

"Mr Khan's team leader, Louise Cummings, said she introduced the incentives as a means of "improving staff morale and performance". "If I had realised that I had hurt anyone's feelings, then I would have taken steps to rectify that immediately," she added.

Tariq Sadiq, for the company, said that another Muslim worker, who had won an alcoholic prize in a similar scheme, had "simply" exchanged it for an alternative.

Judgment was reserved.

"

I wonder what this will do for his promotion prospects ?

Milan.

Comment

is that not what ebay is for ?
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Couldn't they have given him some bacon or something?
          I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

There are possibly other abstemious people in the team why is it a religious thing?

As Gooner said, there is ebay. It could also be a nice present for a friend or neighbour (even relative).
            I would sack him for having no imagination.

This is just a case, as with many, of the kind of people who are a good reason not to have laws against discrimination.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Religion & culture are the causes of all evil.

How the hell did this get to a tribunal?

The guy and the people on the tribunal hearing should be thrown to the lions!!
              Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
                Religion & culture are the causes of all evil.

How the hell did this get to a tribunal?

The guy and the people on the tribunal hearing should be thrown to the lions!!

$$$$$££££££$$$$££££$$££$£$££

Spod - In "Next Question" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                  Couldn't they have given him some bacon or something?
                  Top marks sir!! LOL!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Start a new religion

I am going start my own religion that states that I am not allawed to accept anything other than laptops, iPods and funky mobile phones. So if I was to be offered anything else as a prize I'll complain about my 'hurt feelings' because its against my religion to accept anything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X