• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whose side is the Government on ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I visited an old client yesterday. I have been invited to go back on a short-term contract to manage their Oracle Financials support.

I had a brief discussion with one of the contractors who was an Indian National who has been invited to the UK by the Government to plug our 'skills shortage'.

I found him to be a pleasant enough chap with good conversational english. Technically he was certified on SQL and had a reasonable knowledge of Oracle Financials. He was engaged to carry out a first-line support role where 50% of the work could be handled by a competent 'A' level school leaver. The most difficult calls he passed back to the Clients permanent functional staff.

I don't know whose 'side' the Government is on but multipy this chap by 30,000 and you have a good idea what has happened to the IT Permanent/Contract market in the UK. If you are a UK National looking for a job in IT then my guess is that the Government has for some reason taken against you and decided to give some of the jobs you could do away.

TomKe

Nice one, whoever created this. Topical and credible, not too silly.
    Could be enlivened with some humour however.

8/10.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh come on, I'm getting better at this, no?

Comment

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
        X