• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retention Bonus - Valid or Not.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retention Bonus - Valid or Not.

Just got a bonus retention accepted by my boss. But I not too sure if these simple emails from my boss are valid and enforceable in a court of English contract law....

What do ya think? Any tips or hints for making this agreement a solid binding contract?

Thanks All....

Below Email reply by my manager regarding below email:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

To Me,

We confirm the arrangements as amended below in red.

Many thanks,

Manager X

Below Email re-drafted and sent to manager:
    -------------------------

Manager X,

I have made changes to the retention bonus details as highlighted in red.

I can confirm acceptance of the amended terms and conditions as specified on the below message.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me,

Further to our recent discussions, I confirm that we (Company A) would like you to continue working with us until the end of February 2010 on the current agency terms and conditions.

As agreed, assuming that you remain with us (Company A) until the end of February 2010, you will receive a “one off” retention payment from us (Company A) calculated at £80.00 for every day that you work for us (Company A), commencing the 28th September 2009. This retention payment will be paid by Company A within the first two weeks of March 2010.

Please note that if you should leave for any reason prior to the end of February 2010, no payment will be made.

However, should we (Company A) terminate your contract early before the end of February 2010, then all of the “one off” retention payment calculated to the end of February 2010 will be paid in full within 2 weeks after you’ve finished working at Company A premises.

Please confirm your acceptance to my proposal by e-mail as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you but if in the meantime you should have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Manager X
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please confirm on behalf of Company A, via email that these new terms and conditions outlined are acceptable.

Kind regards,

Me

Sounds good to me - as long as the manager has the authority to be making such an agreement with you. If (s)he doesn't, then having the email isn't worth anything.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
    X