• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bermuda Triangle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bermuda Triangle

I read a theory many moons ago, about how the underwater mudslides could disturb the hydrates and lead to the sinking of ships and aircraft.
    Convinced me anyhow

Basically a lattice of fluid forms that contains gas molecules in a higher than normal density. These hydrates can release the gas bubbles when agitated , creating a column of low density sea water.

This causes many of the effects observed by sailors.
    Engines cut out - because the coolant being drawn from the ocean is mostky gas, so it doesnt cool, causing the engine to overheat and cut out.
    Compass goes haywire - magnetic fields disrupted by localised cloud of stuff
    ship goes straight to the bottom - lack of bouyancy in gassy water

etc

Hydrates
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Does it really need any kind of exotic explanation?

The 'Bermuda Triangle' just happens to be concentrated area of air and maritime traffic, so it is unsurprising that more ships and planes have gone missing there over the years than in the average patch of sea.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      it is unsurprising that more ships and planes have gone missing there over the years than in the average patch of sea.
      Is the air traffic there busier than at Heathrow?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Is the air traffic there busier than at Heathrow?
        I dunno but the cabs are cheaper.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          I read a theory many moons ago, about how the underwater mudslides could disturb the hydrates and lead to the sinking of ships and aircraft.
          Convinced me anyhow

Basically a lattice of fluid forms that contains gas molecules in a higher than normal density. These hydrates can release the gas bubbles when agitated , creating a column of low density sea water.

This causes many of the effects observed by sailors.
          Engines cut out - because the coolant being drawn from the ocean is mostky gas, so it doesnt cool, causing the engine to overheat and cut out.
          Compass goes haywire - magnetic fields disrupted by localised cloud of stuff
          ship goes straight to the bottom - lack of bouyancy in gassy water

etc

Hydrates
          Or there is the other explanation given by Lloyds is that ships get renamed mid Atlantic, cargo flogged off.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Another theory was that old aeroplanes had smaller fuel tanks , due to which they were out of fuel near bermuda triangle.

Comment

Barry Manilo explained all this back in the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Barry Manilo explained all this back in the 80's
                Truly inspired.

The rhyme...

You got to see it from my angle
                Bermuda Triangle
                [...]
                Bermuda Triangle
                It makes people disappear

has got to be one of the all time greats.

Read it and weep Longfellow.

Comment

Radio 4 did a series of programmes on the Bermuda Triangle Mystery a few weeks ago.

They thoroughly, completely and utterly debunked it. As have others in the past.

That area of the world is no more susceptible to inexplicable disappearances than anywhere else. Nor is it more susceptible to losses of aircraft and ships than would be expected.

They went into many of the unexplained disappearances and spoke to the very frustrated people at Lloyds, the aircraft industry investigators, maritime engineers and so on who are really annoyed that their explanations get ignored my the media because that is not 'news' and instead publish crackpot theories from liars, loons and amoral authors.

Sorry. There is no Bermuda Triangle Mystery.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Sorry. There is no Bermuda Triangle Mystery.
                    But AtW would beg to differ

Having said that, he doesn't seem to understand that the Bermuda Triangle is a very, very, very much larger area than, say, the Heathrow air traffic zone.

Comment

Working...
                    X