• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Real Arrangements Letter 'signed' by email

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Real Arrangements Letter 'signed' by email

Does anyone have a view on whether a Real Arrangements Letter that has been drafted/attached to an email, sent to the Client, who then responds with 'I agree that represents the real arrangements of the worded contract' is as good as having a signed copy in any challenge by Hector?

Yes I should think so.

But if you're still in 2 minds, a response like that does imply they wouldn't object to signing a paper copy if you brought one round.

Comment

I have had problems in past where client checks with HR before signing, who then say 'nuffink to do with us - don't sign'. Next time, I wondered about doing it through voting buttons on email.

Comment

I wouldn't do the voting buttons - because it really comes down to "will a judge understand it as equivalent to a signature?", and they've only just got the hang of emails!

Comment

I've got one of the "I agree" responses in e-mail and I've always considered that good enough.

Comment

The letter of real arrangements is your understanding of the contractual terms. It does not have to be accepted by the client, you just need evidence that you have taken all due care and have written and sent it.

Maybe the approach by email would be to print, sign, scan and email and keep the record of sent mail, and maybe even a 'read receipt'?

If you are contracting through an agency, it is advisable to write separate ones (same content) addressed to both the end client and the agency.

Comment

Does the email have the full name of the person replying on it?

If it does it forms a legal contract.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
                The letter of real arrangements is your understanding of the contractual terms. It does not have to be accepted by the client, you just need evidence that you have taken all due care and have written and sent it.

Maybe the approach by email would be to print, sign, scan and email and keep the record of sent mail, and maybe even a 'read receipt'?

If you are contracting through an agency, it is advisable to write separate ones (same content) addressed to both the end client and the agency.
                Can you post a link to where you are getting this advice from Sally because it doesn't feature in anything I've learnt via PCG.

Comment

Well it's not as if there are any hard and fast laws about these real arrangements letters. It probably helps if you write and send one whether it's countersigned or not. But I bet it helps more if you do get some kind of positive acknowledgement back.

Comment

Working...
                  X