• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BYTE Magazine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BYTE Magazine

...and Dr Dobb's Journal.

Wife is nagging me to earmark stuff in the garage that can be disposed of before I go away to the frozen wastes of Western Canada for the winter.

Just uncovered two boxes of BYTE magazine from 1978-1986, and a few copies of Dr Dobb's Journal.

The waves of nostalgia a crashing over me like breakers on waikiki beach.

Did anyone else read BYTE?

I particularly loved Steve Ciarcia's 'Circuit Cellar' and started building many of his projects - but only finished a few. The Z8-based talking weather station was awesome.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

I've still got a good collection of BYTE from the Eighties.

Very recently I was reading something online about declarative languages and one of the references was to an article in BYTE circa 1987. I scampered over to the bookcase and there it was

Comment

I'll take it if you want to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I've still got a good collection of BYTE from the Eighties.

Very recently I was reading something online about declarative languages and one of the references was to an article in BYTE circa 1987. I scampered over to the bookcase and there it was
        I can just envisage you scampering there Nick

Thing is, there's nothing like BYTE now. Nothing of the same depth and quality.

Where are the hard-core tech publications now?

The cover art was amazing too.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I think you might have found a buyer ...
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

No. Sorry, I'm keeping them.

I just have to find somewhere safe from the prying gaze of Mrs Bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              No. Sorry, I'm keeping them.

I just have to find somewhere safe from the prying gaze of Mrs Bogey.
              I know of a bedsit in birmingham, shielded from the suns harmful rays and probably the safest place on the planet from the gaze of womenfolk. Perfect for your needs. ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                I know of a bedsit in birmingham, shielded from the suns harmful rays and probably the safest place on the planet from the gaze of womenfolk. Perfect for your needs. ...

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post

My brother's going to have them - he's serious electronics geek and missed them the first time around.

Comment

Interesting Plan B idea - a technology-agnostic programming/IT magazine for global geeks. I don't think one exists (Not talking about PCW bollox etc.)
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X