• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Beer goggles' effect explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Beer goggles' effect explained

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4468884.stm

Scientists believe they have worked out a formula to calculate how "beer goggles" affect a drinker's vision.

The drink-fuelled phenomenon is said to transform supposedly "ugly" people into beauties - until the morning after.

Researchers at Manchester University say while beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, the amount of alcohol consumed is not the only factor.

Additional factors include the level of light in the pub or club, the drinker's own eyesight and the room's smokiness.

The distance between two people is also a factor.

They all add up to make the aesthetically-challenged more attractive, according to the formula.

The formula can work out a final score, ranging from less than one - where there is no beer goggle effect - to more than 100.

Nathan Efron, Professor of Clinical Optometry at the University of Manchester, said: "For example, someone with normal vision, who has consumed five pints of beer and views a person 1.5 metres away in a fairly smoky and poorly lit room, will score 55, which means they would suffer from a moderate beer goggle effect."

The research was commissioned by eyecare firm Bausch & Lomb PureVision. A poll showed that 68% of people had regretted giving their phone number to someone to whom they later realised they were not attracted.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Originally posted by n5gooner
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4468884.stm

Scientists believe they have worked out a formula to calculate how "beer goggles" affect a drinker's vision.
    Never choose cloth or women in poor light or when drunk -- Ovid, 1st century BC

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      Never choose cloth or women in poor light or when drunk -- Ovid, 1st century BC
      Erm precious stones shirley? Yeah, but that's what he was on about.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yeh right. Who cares about looks? When both of you are neither young nor oil paintings none of that really matters. In fact I am not sure it ever matters that much anyhow.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Erm precious stones shirley? Yeah, but that's what he was on about.
          Sorry, it's been a long time so I couldn't remember, and my books are in storage so I couldn't check. Oh, the Net? Yes, I suppose I could have done. But you know what I mean. At least someone does.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            Yeh right. Who cares about looks? When both of you are neither young nor oil paintings none of that really matters. In fact I am not sure it ever matters that much anyhow.
            It always matters. Look at the Billionaire and the Bunny Girl. I look for symmetry and a good socket set. Those adjustable whenches really come in handy.

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Another satisfied customer...

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                  Another satisfied customer...

So just how drunk were you?
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                  X