• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rant!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant!!!

FFS

Agents, I do not 'live too far away' for any contract. I own a business. My business competes by doing the work where and when the client wants it done. Where I sleep at night is my business, and I've never had a problem finding a suitable place to kip when working for a client, even when a client asked me to go to Zim-bloody-babwe for two weeks. I don't go home at 5 o'clock each day; I stay until the work's done. That's why I have a f**king great big Mercedes; if I was a permie who wanted to work 15 minutes from home and go home in time for tea each day I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Test Automation. No, stop asking me. Test automation is snake oil, dreamt up to rip off clients by convincing managers who know nothing about testing that it's better to have a brainless automaton seeking out the same bugs as you've already solved than to spend the same ridiculous sum of money on a junior tester who's eager to learn and loves finding bugs.

Tax bastards and EU politicians. F**k off. You know nothing about what is needed to make our economy work, so leave us alone to get on with it.

Spammers. Some day one of you will meet me. I am quite large and on the rare occasion that I resort to violence I am not the one who ends up in hospital.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Test automation hunting out the same bugs...

Very good for regression testing. but hey, you know that...

Enjoy the rest of your rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Test automation hunting out the same bugs...

Very good for regression testing. but hey, you know that...

Enjoy the rest of your rant.
      James Bach and Cem Kaner give a very good explanation as to why automated regression testing is useless. Buy 'lessons learned in software testing'; damn good stuff.

Comment

Agents don't believe that you really own your own business. You're a different type of candidate. To them, you are either a 'permie' or a 'contract' candidate - the differences to them are somewhat vague.

As for:
        Some day one of you will meet me. I am quite large and on the rare occasion that I resort to violence I am not the one who ends up in hospital.
        Enjoy your imminent prison break.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

oh dear you sound like you're getting the same tulipe job wise my OH is atm.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Steady there Mich.
            You know these people are simple so pity them, and get the corkscrew out.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Oh, and on the regression test automation bit; instead of spending >1000 euros per month per license for this tulipe, why not allocate time for senior developers and 'business analists' to do a proper impact analysis before implementing changes. About 2 hours work would give you much less chance of introducing new bugs, and give the testers enough information to quickly execute a test of the most important business functions; am I so simple as to think ROI is important?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Oh, and on the regression test automation bit; instead of spending >1000 euros per month per license for this tulipe, why not allocate time for senior developers and 'business analists' to do a proper impact analysis before implementing changes. About 2 hours work would give you much less chance of introducing new bugs, and give the testers enough information to quickly execute a test of the most important business functions; am I so simple as to think ROI is important?
                And..... breathe...

Hey Bro, you're only getting the same sh!te as the rest of us. You're not alone, we all feel the pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Steady there Mich.
                  You know these people are simple so pity them, and get the corkscrew out.

Nasty!

Comment

Aren't testers just failed developers, or developers that couldn't get a decent job anyway?

Comment

Working...
                    X