• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email from agency 'requesting' a 10% rate reduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from agency 'requesting' a 10% rate reduction

Just received this email from my agency. The names have been changed (some more than others) for the sake of anonymity.
    Dear Phil

The client for your current engagement, Bobco Limited, operates in a highly competitive market and must prudently manage its cost base at all times. The current economic climate means that the market rates for contract resources has dropped due to the reduced demand for contractors. Bobco Limited has a strategy to continue to use external resource and wants to ensure that this strategy remains realistic in the present climate to maintain the long term profitability of their client engagements.

Bobco Limited have instructed Enal Computing to seek your assistance in achieving their business objective and request a reduction in your daily / hourly rate of 10% to that which reflects current market conditions. The revised rate will come into effect on Monday 14th December.

Bobco Limited and Enal will consider positively the flexibility you will demonstrate through accepting this change, in conjunction with the business requirements for the role at the time of your next contract renewal. Please be advised that Bobco Limited will not entertain any discussions around changes to other terms and conditions of your contract.

In order that the appropriate documentation can be issued, we seek your agreement to your rate reduction by emailing [email protected], no later than Friday 13th November. The Enal Rate Reduction Team is available for you to discuss the above in more detail and to arrange for the signing of your new terms and conditions that are required to be in order prior to the commencement of the rate reduction period.

Please direct all enquiries to the Enal Rate Reduction Team and NOT to any member of the Bobco Limited community.

Yours sincerely,

Enal Rate Reduction Team
    It's the last line about not contacting the client that really annoys me. I realise that there's not much I can do apart from roll over and take this - I like the client and I've been with them for a long time - but I'd be interested to know if this is a common occurrence.

I'm tempted to reply and ask if the agency are going to reduce their commission too but I think I already know the answer to that.

Tell ClientCo "My agency are terminating me because I'm not making enough money for them. They reckon they can get someone else doing the same gig for you but pay them 10% less."

Assuming you have an 18 month warchest, of course.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Why don't you just say no and leave. When they come crawling back, ask for a 10% increase...

Comment

I'd be tempted to casually mention the "cost reduction plan" to the client - the bit about not contacting the client (it is generally in the contract that you don't discuss rates with them) is fishy.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by miffed View Post
          Just received this email from my agency. The names have been changed (some more than others) for the sake of anonymity.

It's the last line about not contacting the client that really annoys me. I realise that there's not much I can do apart from roll over and take this - I like the client and I've been with them for a long time - but I'd be interested to know if this is a common occurrence.
          That last line would have me mentioning it "casually" to the client. It smells of an agency stitch up to me.

After similar negotiations half a dozen years ago, the client was genuinely surprised how little of the dosh he was laying out reached us.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            I'd be tempted to casually mention the "cost reduction plan" to the client - the bit about not contacting the client (it is generally in the contract that you don't discuss rates with them) is fishy.
            WSS. I'd absolutely mention it to the client, why not?

Comment

Agreed that last part is fishy. I am sure there are ways of working out what is going on without actually "directing an enquiry".

The message is carefully worded because they haven't said what will happen if you say "no". The implication is that you will have your contract terminated, but they haven't said that.

I wouldn't rule out this being a bluff. All depends how much ClientCo want to keep you.

Comment

Originally posted by miffed View Post

I'm tempted to reply and ask if the agency are going to reduce their commission too but I think I already know the answer to that.
                It only says "Please direct all enquiries to the Enal Rate Reduction Team and NOT to any member of the Bobco Limited community." and not " You must not..."

You know your client; then talk it over with them.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Your agent are simply trying it on. Ask them the provide written evidence.

There is no absolutely reason why you cant contact end co to verify this story or not as I suspect will be the case.

PZZ

Comment

Are you the only contractor there? They make no mention of not discussing it with other contractors and it might be interesting to see if they all got the same email.

Comment

Working...
                    X