• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frikkin' Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frikkin' Agents

I've got a stinking hangover & was inspired by Mich's rant, so here goes. Why oh why do agents waste my freakin time by asking me what my skills are and how long I've worked with each technology when it's there at the top of my cv in a bulleted list plain for all to see? I'm actually quite rude to them now because I'm sick of this and I'm sure I'm doing myself out of work by being rude to them!

"can we go through a skills profile? yes? java? how many years experience do you have in that?"

"It clearly states in my CV I have 10 years using java, how many days have you been doing this job?"

*presses red button*

Comment

It's to check you can sustain a conversation of several minutes in length with another human being, geekboy. When the robot revolution comes and the world only communicates in bullet-pointed lists, it will no longer be necessary.

hth
      tl

Comment

It's called "screening".

You may have written on your C.V. that you have xyz years experience of noddy technology, but the agent want you to recall that fact during the interview, because if you cannot remember it or get it wrong, alarm bells start ringing.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          It's called "screening".

You may have written on your C.V. that you have xyz years experience of noddy technology, but the agent want you to recall that fact during the interview, because if you cannot remember it or get it wrong, alarm bells start ringing.
          You give them way too much credit.

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
            You give them way too much credit.

The more moronic ones barely glance at the CV that has been word filtered by them.

I had that exact conversation with an agent this week and ended up asking had she not read my CV? No, she replies, she does not have time to read CV's fully. Honest at least

She asked me to confirm my skillset, which I did (punctuated by exaggerated sighs). She then called me back to "reconfirm" my skillset - I refused to go over it again and suggested she actually read my CV if she'd lost her previous jottings. Ggrrrr.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
            X