• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dangerous games for boys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangerous games for boys

The comments about the three pin plug snakes that get used to get me old man blue in the face dancing around in underpants swearing got me thinking about some of the other things we used to do as kids. We used to mess about with fireworks to make new ones, play with knives, build bows and arows - I peirced a steel garage door with one once from about 100 yards and figured it was probably a bit on the dangerous side.

But, the one that got me giggling to myself was the one time when my old man came back blue in the face looking to kill someone. Its his fault though as he taught me how to do it.

Now my mother and father smoke, and he had taught me how to pull the tabacco from the end of a cigarette with a pair of tweezers, insert a cap from one of those toy guns and replace the tabacco so that it looked like nobody had tampered with it. The result was the cigarette exploded while smoking it.

This one time I had decided to get him as he had left his cigarettes unattended in the kitchen so carried out the procedure of inserting the cap in the end. Anyway, a little later he picks up his cigarettes and announces that he his going out. He came back ten minutes later blue in the face and about to kill me because while was driving along by the local lake the homemade exploding firework had gone off in his face and I still have these cartoon images of a split cigarette and smokey black face with stunned expression which give me fits of giggles. He was absolutely fuming at the time though.

What dangerous things did you get up to.

Insert disclaimer here to conform to modern pc standards - not got to play with fireworks, knives, blah, blah, blah.

Edit: It wouldn't let me edit the title but I want to add "or girls"

Cor, look at the wheels on that tractor! Do you have a larger image of your avatar?

edit: Getting back on topic, I nicked a large bottle of sodium from the chemistry lab at school and with a couple of friends headed to a lake in some woods. After tipping the whole lot in and legging it we heard bangs and blasts for several minutes. We weren't the only ones either, because walking out of the woods we met some police who said they'd had reports of shooting. Acting innocent, I said we'd heard it too but assumed the noise was poachers shooting rabbits or something, and nothing more was said.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 November 2009, 11:47.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Cor, look at the wheels on that tractor! Do you have a larger image of your avatar?

edit: Getting back on topic, I nicked a large bottle of sodium from the chemistry lab at school and with a couple of friends headed to a lake in some woods. After tipping the whole lot in and legging it we heard bangs and blasts for several minutes.

Very good OH, that made me laugh.

Sorry, no larger image.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

edit: Getting back on topic, I nicked a large bottle of sodium from the chemistry lab at school.

Same here, but used to throw chunks of it into the urinal while people were standing there having a pee. They couldn't move away and so had to finish while small explosions went off in front of them.

Rhubarb

Comment

A college mate did that cap trick on cigs with match heads. He went mental when I did it to him, which only encouraged me more (he was a prat anyway).

Lots of stuff with fireworks and indeed bonfires. Suicidal cycle leaps and jumping off garage roofs are the only other things I remember.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Did anyone manage to make any decent gun power as a kid? The stuff we made wasn't all that good, but we could launch a feeble rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Suicidal cycle leaps and jumping off garage roofs are the only other things I remember.
              Yep, I reckon I would break something if I did that now, but when I was about 4 foot in height I could jump off a 7 foot high garage roof and not think anything of it. I wonder if kids still do these things.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Did anyone manage to make any decent gun power as a kid? The stuff we made wasn't all that good, but we could launch a feeble rocket.
                I didn't make anything that good but my old man tells stories of blowing up his dads cabbages - not sure what he used, I will ask him at dinner in a bit. Apparantly his dad, my grandad, was not too pleased.

Comment

Yes, you need decent materials and to grind it fine.
                  Also ammonium iodide which is quite entertaining.

Made nitro glycerine in A Level chemistry, the teacher used to be in demolitions and there were some tree stumps in his garden he wanted to shift. It took half of a double period to plunder enough ice from various freezers in the labs.

Comment

my older brother and his mates got a brylcreem jar and a big 24 box of bangers. The plan was to break open the bangers and fill the jar with gummy, then put one of the fuses through the lid and set it off in the local brickworks.
                    They were totally peed off when they found that all those bangers didnt anywhere near fill the jar.
                    So they got another couple of dozen
                    then another couple of dozen.

Us younger kids wernt allowed in to see the fun, but they placed some paving slabs over the bomb, so as to protect the nearby estate from damage.

They lit it, and the subsequent explosion blew the bits of conctrete all over the estate, smashing windows and causing real terror.

he must have been twelve or so, but he came home white as a sheet and hid under the bed till the next day

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X