• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graduate unemployment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduate unemployment

Interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday.

I do have some sympathy for them as they now have to pay for their degrees.

I graduated during the last recession (early 90's) and had similar experiences - had to take a local cashier job but was able to get full-time hours. However, within a few months, I got a job with a large multi-national on a very good salary.

Very little chance of that happening during this recession!

Will be interesting to see how the graduates in the article fare over the next 12 months.

404 Not Found error for the link - this tulip started at The Times site many moons ago

Comment

"Gemma James has an honours degree in philosophy..."

As somebody who has an honours degree in Philosophy, I can assure her that it is unlikely to be of any assistance in finding employment. The only time mine has even been mentioned by an employer was when the MD of a small software house told me that he hoped, one day, to go to University to study Philosophy himself; however, he hired me purely on the basis of my experience as an assembly language programmer.

Still, you don't read for a degree in Philosophy in the hope of gaining employment by it: you do so because learning is its own reward. After that, you need to know some stuff that can get you a job.

Good luck to them all, and I'm sure they'll be OK in the long run. Times were bloody tough when I graduated in the early Eighties, but we all seem to have got through the ups and downs eventually

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        "Gemma James has an honours degree in philosophy..."

As somebody who has an honours degree in Philosophy, I can assure her that it is unlikely to be of any assistance in finding employment. The only time mine has even been mentioned by an employer was when the MD of a small software house told me that he hoped, one day, to go to University to study Philosophy himself; however, he hired me purely on the basis of my experience as an assembly language programmer.

Still, you don't read for a degree in Philosophy in the hope of gaining employment by it: you do so because learning is its own reward. After that, you need to know some stuff that can get you a job.

Good luck to them all, and I'm sure they'll be OK in the long run. Times were bloody tough when I graduated in the early Eighties, but we all seem to have got through the ups and downs eventually
        Maybe you were looking at the wrong type of jobs. Philosophy teaches you how to identify, analyse and solve problems, exactly the kinds of skills required in modern management.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Maybe you were looking at the wrong type of jobs. Philosophy teaches you how to identify, analyse and solve problems, exactly the kinds of skills required in modern management.
          regrettably absent
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Why hire an IT graduate for 18 grand and invest in his skills for a couple of years when you can get bob over with 10 years experience on an ICT for the same price?

The country is sleep walking in to an IT skills shortage in the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Why hire an IT graduate for 18 grand and invest in his skills for a couple of years when you can get bob over with 10 years experience on an ICT for the same price?

The country is sleep walking in to an IT skills shortage in the next decade.
              I agree. Modern management is all about finding the cheapest way of going bankrupt.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A lack of IT skills never did Zimbabwe any harm.

Comment

Working...
                X