• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical term for a brain dead management technique?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical term for a brain dead management technique?

Anyone know the name of, and have a link to, this management technique:

You have a group of programmers and you have a short meeting every day, usually about half way through the morning. You go around the table and get each one to describe what they've done yesterday and what they're going to do today.

Seems to be beloved of naive project managers. So either it must be in some beginners manual, or maybe it's just something gel haired freaks commonly dream up when a project is spiralling out of control.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded View Post

You have a group of programmers and you have a short meeting every day, usually about half way through the morning. You go around the table and get each one to describe what they've done yesterday and what they're going to do today.

Seems to be beloved of naive project managers. So either it must be in some beginners manual, or maybe it's just something gel haired freaks commonly dream up when a project is spiralling out of control.
    I believe it's called Agile. Some teams use it here, as a way to monitor their ineffectiveness.

Comment

It's called "watering the mushrooms".
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        I believe it's called Agile. Some teams use it here, as a way to monitor their ineffectiveness.
        WHS

Of all projects I've worked on, the projects which had daily catch up meetings were the beast/easiest to work on and came in on time with the least amount of panic
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

My productivity has gone up since they started it here. I now have to find things to say I'm doing, then actually do them. And I'm not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            WHS

Of all projects I've worked on, the projects which had daily catch up meetings were the beast/easiest to work on and came in on time with the least amount of panic
            So NWHS then. Read it carefully.

Comment

I think you are witnessing a soulless variant on the "Daily Scrum", part of the Scrum method.

Comment

The next step is hourly updates with a PM updating an MS Project plan as you speak.

The step after that is 200 Indian programmers arrive and supplement the team.

The step after that is the project is canned.

Comment

That sounds like Scrum. I've seen quite a few places using that now, although most tend to only use parts of it, in particular the daily scrum-type meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    No it's definitely not Agile. In this technique, it's normally a couple or three managers and they go around the table and ask each programmers to say what they've done today. If they haven't done what they agreed to yesterday, they're berated in a bad cop, worse cop, downright nasty cop kinda way, made to feel bad, female staff made to cry etc. then the programmer is coerced into agreeing to perform some unreasonable task before the next meeting.

I sometimes wonder if it is meant to be a technique to reduce the wage bill by getting the good people to seek alternative employment or is it to provide a cover for a failing project by dint of staff sickness.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X