• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cash in hand or cheque

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cash in hand or cheque

New heating system is being installed. The heating chap said he'll knock off ££ for cash in hand.

What would be a reasonable % to knock off the invoice for cash in hand?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    New heating system is being installed. The heating chap said he'll knock off ££ for cash in hand.

Tell him you have recorded the conversation and will grass him up if he doesn't do it for 10% of the quote.

Comment

VAT on the labour + 10%.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If he's registered, isn't the rule of thumb to do it sans VAT when talking cash?
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

10% is pretty normal in these situations. He takes cash for a discount and the money doesnt go through the books or does so as a smaller amount so he doesnt pay VAT etc on it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
            Tell him you have recorded the conversation and will grass him up if he doesn't do it for 10% of the quote.
            Why? It's not illegal to offer a discount for better payment terms.

I'd expect to get 10-15% off at least.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If it's not going on the books, what happens if it develops a fault?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                10% is pretty normal in these situations. He takes cash for a discount and the money doesnt go through the books or does so as a smaller amount so he doesnt pay VAT etc on it.
                That's libellous. How do you know that he's not paying VAT on it, or putting it through the books?

As a small trader, he may find that accepting cash is a better payment method because he incurs lower charges, or enables him to purchase materials quicker, since he doesn't need the payment to clear.

There are many legitimate reasons for accepting cash payments.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  If it's not going on the books, what happens if it develops a fault?
                  The person who does the work.

Get a receipt for the work, same as you would with any other payment mechanism.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

And if it goes wrong - what evidence you got to get him to fix it?

I'm all for a bit of the black economy (can we still say that?), but sometimes it can work against you.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X