• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motivation in a Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivation in a Contract

Does anyone else struggle keeping their motivation up on some contract positions?

The majority of roles that I do seem to follow the same path, working on a fairly crappy legacy code base which I work flat out on for a few months then my productivity just dips as I have enough of the job. I usually end up knocking back the extension at that point.

Current role I started 2 weeks ago is on a large shambolic legacy financial system and I can sense the feeling of 'not giving a toss' coming in a few weeks.

I know I am capable and always start of the job impressing the client, then it seems to slip and there is never a way back.

I find a nice bit of eye candy in the client office gets me out of bed in the morning.

Then try and learn something new whilst on the job.

Comment

Motivation? I think of the alternative.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        That isn't an incentive for me atm, starting new projects at current clientco, and couldn't care less, begrudgingly taken the extension.

It's like working in the mediaeval ages where I am, the two hour commute and idiots at work don't add up to a fun filled contract

Shouldn't moan as I was on the bench this time last year.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          I do but I cannot keep up the positivity. It might take 2 weeks, it might take 6 months but there is never an interesting job or a decent team to work with that will keep me engaged. It always seems to me client bring on contractors to do the real crappy work the permies cannot do or are unwilling to do.

The first sign of the dip is the frustration at how bad the code is and then how bad the team is. I get pissed off that my skills do not get tested to the full.

My last job before going contracting was a technical lead in charge of a decent budget and about 10 folk, I trebled my wage to go contracting and the next week I was changing HTML.

Comment

I have just spent 19 months in a great job that unfortunately is now finished. Two weeks ago I started a new job and it's like a mortuary. I seriously do not think I can stay the duration on this one. I hate going there already, but it's a job and that's like hens teeth near Manchester right now.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I worked on a gig where nobody spoke to me for three months outside of meetings. I overheard a conversation where 2 permies where discussing another permie saying "well do not expect me to speak to a ******* contractor". Ironically my current place bought over that place this year.

In my current role they are all very decent but the code is a nightmare and the permies did say to me "nobody wants to work on that system you are on".

Comment

He's just filling a gap

Seeing as it's normally me bleating on here about some such trivial arse wash I chose my words carefully.

There are many reasons you got the contract. It sounds like being a tulip hot developer isn't one of them. They want a capable drone who will just shut the feck up and get on with it. The code is soooooo bad that even the permies won't touch it.

So try and have a plan B to work on that keeps your skills sharp.

I can't even imagine what a long term bench dweller must be thinking reading this drivel. If Expat was around he'd have something to say.

Anyone heard from him?

In the mean time, I'd use the ability to print valid invoices as the motivation you need. Failing that, print off some of the code and visit trap 3 with it.

Chin up ole son.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The whole 'not giving a toss' feeling? Try that for a year.

After a while, you realise you're not doing this for them, not even just for the money - because that's not even enough to carry you through periods of demotivation like this... you're doing it for the experience.

Set yourself (I hate to use management phrases, but) 'stretch' objectives. Try and learn a whole new discipline in 2 months, using clientco resources if possible. While doing your day job, and keeping sanity levels intact, attempt to teach yourself, say, Python, or Objective C within a few weeks. Set milestones - be strict about them. Have firm deliverables... While never forgetting to exceed the actual clientco task in hand.

Get involved in community led or open source projects... volunteer to review work for a charity - whatever you feel like. I've helped start-ups, charitable orgs, churches, community groups, all sorts of stuff - these are transferrable skills you can evidence and market. If you can do your day-job with one hand tied behind your back and you're bored, put the rest of your momentum to good use.

You'll be surprised how good it feels to give something back. And even for the die-hard contractors out there - for free! Yes, pro-bono really does make it feel worthwhile. This energy you carry into the day job... and gradually you reach an equilibrium where you feel satisfied doing the humdrum project crap because you have the feelgood factor moonlighting for someone who really needs your skills but can't afford them.

Obviously - all of the above does not compute for those who lack a conscience, or whose moral compass is used as a fan - but you've got to keep yourself going. Stagnating on a contract is not a good feeling, as I well know, kick yourself up the arse and set yourself a challenge.

Comment

I have as much sympathy for the benched contrator as anyone on here but we all cannot change our view points or modify our posts becasue the industry is going though a tough time.

Personally I find the BOOOMED posts more of a giruy to the benched than this.

Comment

Working...
                    X