• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Execution of Gary Glitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Execution of Gary Glitter

anyone see the program?

I thought it was fairly obviously propaganda *against* the death penalty, by assuming the absurd proposition that any sex with someone aged 12 years or younger would be a capital offence (given that this would be statutory rape).

Also, there was some sneaky propaganda in favour of the human rights act and the EU.

For reference, in the UK rape was a capital offence until the 1840s, as was "carnal knowledge" (to use the legal term) of a child under the age of seven. I must admit I'd have retained the second one. But all the same, it doesn't seem like Gary Glitter's crimes, bad as they were, should warrant the death penalty in any reasonable jurisdiction.

Also, what the *hell* is the UK doing re-trying crimes committed abroad, following trial and conviction in those countries? If I were Vietnamese I'd be livid at the monstrously patronising attitude that their prison sentence was somehow inadequate.

And as for juries deciding sentences, don't get me started! UK politicians seem to have an incurable compulsion to ape even the pottiest habits of the US. But then in this film I suspect that was just one more element of the propaganda.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I switched it on for 10 seconds and though "what the hell is this pish".

Sorry I can't have more of a complete opinion but it did just look like drivel to me.

I'm watching Ugly Betty now

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      anyone see the program?
      Nope.

I'm watching what appears to be an inferior version of The Time Machine, which, judging by my recognising some clips, I may have seen at least bits of before. It's ITV too, which I don't recall as having anything on worth watching for several Moons.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I switched it on for 10 seconds and though "what the hell is this pish".

Sorry I can't have more of a complete opinion but it did just look like drivel to me.
        Likewise - although I was curious to know if that was Glitter playing himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Yes course it was
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Come on, come on, come on, come on...

oh dear this could get smutty and that wouldn't be very tasteful in this context.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

For reference, in the UK rape was a capital offence until the 1840s, as was "carnal knowledge" (to use the legal term) of a child under the age of seven
              To be honest, the way some children are "sexualised" by their parents, who dress them in completely inappropriate attire, it makes a mockery of the capital offence above.

Why on earth do they do this ? Do they not care about their children ?

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                anyone see the program?

I thought it was fairly obviously propaganda *against* the death penalty, by assuming the absurd proposition that any sex with someone aged 12 years or younger would be a capital offence (given that this would be statutory rape).

Also, there was some sneaky propaganda in favour of the human rights act and the EU.

For reference, in the UK rape was a capital offence until the 1840s, as was "carnal knowledge" (to use the legal term) of a child under the age of seven. I must admit I'd have retained the second one. But all the same, it doesn't seem like Gary Glitter's crimes, bad as they were, should warrant the death penalty in any reasonable jurisdiction.

Also, what the *hell* is the UK doing re-trying crimes committed abroad, following trial and conviction in those countries? If I were Vietnamese I'd be livid at the monstrously patronising attitude that their prison sentence was somehow inadequate.

And as for juries deciding sentences, don't get me started! UK politicians seem to have an incurable compulsion to ape even the pottiest habits of the US. But then in this film I suspect that was just one more element of the propaganda.
                I remember the last time I had a bad prawn Madras - my Gary was completely annihilated for several days after...nearly had to go and see the Doctor about it.

Pip pip,

PZZ

Comment

More pointless drivel by the sound of it.

It's given me a great idea for a new show though. How about 'I'm A Famous Ex-Con Get Me Out Of Here' where the winner gets executed? Gary Glitter, Jeffrey Archer, Lord Brocket, Marlon King...

The runner-up gets the Lord Lucan Trophy.

Comment

Nice idea how about a companion show?

'I'm a celebrity get me in there' For all those that should be at her majesty' pleasure or adorning a pike?

Tony B'liar & Lord Mankyson should be odds on favourites.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X