• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Census point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Census point

WTF!!!!

A quick google shows several incidences of traffic chaos being caused by a 'census point', god knows how many people this effected when Bristol City council held one this morning on the main route into the city, 10,000 -100,000? Deadlines missed, loss of earnings etc... does anyone think about the impact on business before they put one in place?

Should I invoice BCC for my lost 90 minutes? Still seething.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    WTF!!!!

A quick google shows several incidences of traffic chaos being caused by a 'census point', god knows how many people this effected when Bristol City council held one this morning on the main route into the city, 10,000 -100,000? Deadlines missed, loss of earnings etc... does anyone think about the impact on business before they put one in place?

Should I invoice BCC for my lost 90 minutes? Still seething.
    Last time I saw one of these was in Manchester.
    Basically involved a load of blokes in yellow jackets waiting at some traffic lights. When they were on red they handed out census forms to as many drivers as they could.
    No hold ups, no hassle
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Last time I saw one of these was in Manchester.
      Basically involved a load of blokes in yellow jackets waiting at some traffic lights. When they were on red they handed out census forms to as many drivers as they could.
      No hold ups, no hassle
      Last time I saw one of these was in Liverpool.
      No hold ups, no hassle no wheeltrims
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well this one had a coned off lane with a sign telling people to pull over if asked, it was backed up by the police.

So there we have it, northerners are better at traffic management.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Last time I saw one of these was in Liverpool.
          No hold ups, no hassle no wheeltrims
          <cough>
          This is the city of culture youse are having a go at. Last month I was visiting me mam, and when I went back to me car it was up on books

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You don't have to answer the questions. There must be a police presence for you to be stopped. Once stopped you can drive on.

The last one I went through the drivers were so angry non of them answered questions.

Another census I went through, there was a Community Support Offer stopping Traffic (which is illegal).

Yet another census was on a dual carriageway. Both lanes were closed off for the census.

I will leave it up to your imagination as to what I say when I get stopped for these.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Well this one had a coned off lane with a sign telling people to pull over if asked, it was backed up by the police.

So there we have it, northerners are better at traffic management.
              Nope - last time I saw one in Manchester it was on the way into Manchester on a bit of dual carridgeway (top of Princess parkway I think) as it goes under the Hume Arch and it exactly like you said. Coned off lane with people in yellow jackets pulling people over. I suppose it depends on the info they are collecting. How many of those given the paper at the lights would fill it in and send it back. If you are stopped and forced to give the info before being allowed to continue then they will at least get the number of responses they wanted.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                If you are stopped and forced to give the info before being allowed to continue then they will at least get the number of responses they wanted.
                "When I queried this, the surveyor got stroppy. “The police have the authority to pull you over,” she snapped. True, but that's not the point. When pushed, she admitted that I didn't have to answer their questions (so I didn't), but how many people are going to make a fuss?"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3971799.ece
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We got stopped on the way to a client meeting (I was doing a presentation) in Salisbury a year or so ago; the missus was driving.

I leaned over and said to the bloke we were in a rush.

"You should leave a bit earlier, then, boy. Aaannnyywaaay ... this ... won't ... take ... very ... long. Just ... a ... few ... questions ... "

I got out the car, grabbed my briefcase and started walking briskly; we were only about 800 yards from ClientCo.

My Missus drove past me when I was about 20 yards from ClientCo. The tulipbag had decided to be as difficult as possible.

I was the first to arrive for the meeting. Everyone else was stuck in the queue behind the poxy traffic census too.

Little Hitlers.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    "When I queried this, the surveyor got stroppy. “The police have the authority to pull you over,” she snapped. True, but that's not the point. When pushed, she admitted that I didn't have to answer their questions (so I didn't), but how many people are going to make a fuss?"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3971799.ece
                    I would have thought that with all the cameras in London that the census could be done automatically in the space of a morning without any driver being any wiser as to a census being carried out.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X