• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 Mobile Broadband.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Mobile Broadband.....

I've had it for about a year - I've been fairly happy with it...

It comes with a connection app which tells me my speed / strength and usage etc... a bit too slow so I've now started to connect directly via the Network connections 1.3G tab within "connect to a network" on Vista - which is much quicker.

Am I circumventing something? Will I be charged extra or something for not using their 3 app?

The difference in speed is significant...

Don't know the answer, but would be interested to find out, as I get frustrated with my Vodafone mobile broadband for being too slow. I think the app is getting in the way, and it crashes every now and then, which is a pain.

Comment

I've got 3G mobile broadband too but I have the "dongle" plugged into one of their WiFi hubs and connect to it via a network cable. I don't use their connection app.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Cue Nick Fitz.
        (whispers)
        'Nick... you're on...'
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

At a certain table in a South Yorkshire eaterie I'm getting faster Broadband than at home...!

Comment

I had 3 mobile contract. It was very poor speed even in London

Comment

"3" - Hold me back, hold me back.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                I've had it for about a year - I've been fairly happy with it...

It comes with a connection app which tells me my speed / strength and usage etc... a bit too slow so I've now started to connect directly via the Network connections 1.3G tab within "connect to a network" on Vista - which is much quicker.

Am I circumventing something? Will I be charged extra or something for not using their 3 app?

The difference in speed is significant...
                You are probably seeing faster speeds because one app connects you using GPRS and the other HSDPA which is a lot faster.

AFAIK 3 still charge a flat rate per month for fair usage and at meg chunks over that (check your contract for specifics) regardless of which speed you connect at. So you wont get charged extra for using a higher speed service.

I have to say that I have used 3 extensively and found them to provide excellent service wherever I happen to be.

PZZ

Comment

there is practically no connectivity in evenings...

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                    there is practically no connectivity in evenings...
                    If you have a USB dongle, try getting hold of a USB extension cable and putting that between the dongle and the PC. Then get a piece of double sided tape and stick the dongle as high in the room as possible, preferably to a window. Experiment by moving it around a bit until you get the best signal.

Works for me anyway.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X