• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to go permie after 6 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract to go permie after 6 months

This morning I've had two calls from agents offering roles on the condition I sign a contract to go permie after 6 months if the clientco wants me. In other words, start as a freelancer on >10000 euros per month, then go permie at 4500 per month.

Fuq off. Plan B will only earn me 4500 per month if I do well, but it'll be more fun.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This morning I've had two calls from agents offering roles on the condition I sign a contract to go permie after 6 months if the clientco wants me. In other words, start as a freelancer on >10000 euros per month, then go permie at 4500 per month.

Fuq off. Plan B will only earn me 4500 per month if I do well, but it'll be more fun.
    Pitch at > 20000 EUR per month, sign agreement as a director of yourco, then resign from yourco when they start asking about permiedom...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

When you go permie resign, then go sick... not difficult is it ...

Comment

Sign it, go permie, go on sick leave due to depression.

Get paid for 6 months to sit at home and learn new things, then get laid off and go contracting again.

Comment

I've taken a gig before with this talk, but not with any obligation to go perm written into the contract, and I was renewed after the first 6 months.
          Stayed another year after that before clientco realised they had forgotten convert me to perm, at which point I left.

Comment

I suppose I could go delinquent in the final month.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I suppose I could go postal in the final month.
              Fixed that for you
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Fixed that for you
                Postal as in take so many strike days that you end up with another 6 month contract so you can clear the work backlog you've created?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Approach it rationally - tell the agent (and client) that it's certainly your intention to sign the permie contract after six months, but until you know exactly what the role is going to be like, it wouldn't be right to risk their business by tying in someone at this stage who might not be happy once they become permie.

Turn it round so that you are doing them a favour by not forcing them to commit to hiring you in 6 months.

And then, after 6 months, see if you can spiin it out for another 3 month contract because you're "still not sure"....
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X