• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crazy Russians or a smart way to deal with all anti-socials?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Russians or a smart way to deal with all anti-socials?

From http://www.cnbc.com/id/31551995/:

Money makes some people crazy. And no one can exploit that better than the Russians. According to an Austrian newspaper called Wirtschaftsblatt, which I thought at first was a joke name but it's apparently real (they've got Warren Buffett on the front page today!), Russian luxury ocean liners are offering customers "pirate hunting cruises".

Instead of becoming a victim of pirates, pirates become the victims.

The article was translated at Ananova.com, which says passengers are paying about $5,700 a day to patrol the waters off Somalia in heavily armed private yachts, hoping to attract the attention of pirates. Then, when the bad guys get close, the badder guys open fire with grenade launchers, machine guns, and rocket launchers. The yachts come with body guards, who are allegedly "a squad of ex special forces troops," and, for about $20 a day extra, you can use an AK-47 and 100 rounds of ammo.

"They are worse than the pirates," the article quotes a Russian yachtsman named Vladimir Mironov. "At least the pirates have the decency to take hostages, these people are just paying to commit murder."

I've got an idea! Let's pool our money together and rent a luxury yacht to hunt CEO's of TARP-receiving money caught vacationing on company-subsidized yachts! We won't shoot them, just moon them.

Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
    I've got an idea! Let's pool our money together and rent a luxury yacht to hunt CEO's of TARP-receiving money caught vacationing on company-subsidized yachts! We won't shoot them, just moon them.
    Or force them at gunpoint to throw the following items into the sea;
    - their cash
    - their credit/bank cards
    - their mobile phones/laptops
    - their GPS systems
    - their clothing
    - their passports

Leave them with enough food and water to survive a few weeks at sea and drift to shore somewhere, then moon them. We'll see where their MBAs get them.

It would be a good test of initiative for the so-called captains of industry; those who get home alive might be given a job, as a lollipop man or inspector of frozen peas.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've ummed and ahhed and ummed and ahhed and come to a conclusion.

It is A Good Thing until a paying passenger(s) coerces the crew into allowing the taking out of an innocent fishing boat because the hunting has been poor in this cruise.

It's only a matter of time...

Policing of the high seas should be done by professionals who are accountable for their actions, not murder-tourists.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Aren't these kind folk in international waters- who would be able to find them guilty of anything??

PZZ

Comment

Reminds me of the movie "Hostel" in which rich tourists pay to kill and torture people.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Reminds me of the movie "Hostel" in which rich tourists pay to kill and torture people.
            A bit like the US etc Govs in Afghanistan and Iraq then....

PZZ

Comment

We've done this before - and it's a hoax

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                http://www.somalicruises.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Damn. Snopes says you're right.

In which case, there's a Plan B opportunity...
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X