• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Berlin Wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Berlin Wall

Just think only twenty years ago.

How could people lived under the terror of the East German Regime.
    Citizens could be arrested and held for weeks and months without trial.
    Police would shoot to kill, even if the person was innocent.
    Their government would persistently lie to the people.
    The government themselves were corrupt.
    Phone calls and mail could be monitored without a court order.
    Local officials would spy on residents.
    Even their bins would be examined.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Just think only twenty years ago.

How could people lived under the terror of the East German Regime.
    Citizens could be arrested and held for weeks and months without trial.
    Police would shoot to kill, even if the person was innocent.
    Their government would persistently lie to the people.
    The government themselves were corrupt.
    Phone calls and mail could be monitored without a court order.
    Local officials would spy on residents.
    Even their bins would be examined.
    Yes, I see what you mean. I've concluded that most people actually don't value liberty. They prefer a false sense of security, and don't mind the government eating away at the liberty of those of us that do value it. The tyranny of the masses.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think bringing down the Berlin Wall was a mistake. And so did Thatcher.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Thatcher was not against the Berlin wall coming down, or the GDR becoming democratic and free. She was against German reunification.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Thatcher was not against the Berlin wall coming down, or the GDR becoming democratic and free. She was against German reunification.
          Was she an England football fan by any chance?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It was really interesting being there soon afterwards. I was due there the day it started but the work trip was called off because the British army in Berlin was on high alert. Did the wall, etc etc. Many of the supermarkets ordered loads of bananas because the East Berliners didn't get the opportunity to buy them under normal circumstances.

Comment

What really frightens me is that it was twenty years ago. Where the heck did those two decades go????
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I actually have a piece of the Berlin wall in a display cabinet next to two bowls from Hiroshima.
                I suppose it is a reminder not to do those things again.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                  I actually have a piece of concrete in a display cabinet next to two bowls from Hiroshima.
                  I suppose it is a reminder not to buy stuff off street traders again.

PZZ
                  FTFY

It is a standing joke in SquareHead Land that there is far, far more Berlin Wall on people's shelves than ever stood on the ground.

Wanna by a saint's bone? As a special offer, I'll do you a special deal on a dozen of St Peter's thumbs.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    FTFY

It is a standing joke in SquareHead Land that there is far, far more Berlin Wall on people's shelves than ever stood on the ground.

Wanna by a saint's bone? As a special offer, I'll do you a special deal on a dozen of St Peter's thumbs.
                    I broke it off myself so I know were it came from....

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X