• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OpenOffice Weirdy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice Weirdy

This one has got me stumped. I have a column which has as data just text but mixed upper and lower cases so it looks like this:

SrvUIKvz01
    SrvBEkvz01
    SrvUIkvz02

For the life of me I cannot get the lowercase k to change to an uppercase K. Even with copy/paste from the one entry with an uppercase K it will change to a lowercase k once I leave the cell. There are no formulas and the format is text so...any ideas? (And no, Excel is not an option as it won't install on my Debian system )
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

1. Copy into Notepad, correct it, then copy from Notepad into the cell.

Failing that,

2. 1. Copy into Notepad, correct it, then copy from Notepad into the cell but press ' first in OpenOffice.org.

3. Go into Tools and turn off the CAPS-related stuff in AutoCorrect.

4. Check to see if the differently-cased exists in the Word Completion list under AutoCorrect and if so, delete it.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Cheers, tried all them, none worked but I'm narrowing it down. The cells look like this:

SrvUIKvz01
      SrvBEKvz01
      SrvUIkvz02
      SrvBEkvz02
      SrvUIKvz01
      SrvBEKvz01
      SrvUIkvz02
      SrvBEkvz02

It seems to only affect those ending in 02...Will investigate further...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Whjat version of OO.o are you running? (So I can try to emulate the problem)
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Go into Tools, Cell Contents and turn off AutoInput.

If you enter:

Code:
          WombleTweed
          then

Code:
          wombletWeEd
          wombletWeEd will be changed to WombleTweed automatically unless AutoInput is off.

So once it 'knows' a lower case 'SrvBEkvz01' it will never let you enter an upper case 'SrvBEKvz01' - it will change it to match the first one it got.

It looks as though it is remembering some old incorrect entries and won't let you change them.

Comment

Wow, that's worth knowing!
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I still reckon this:
              Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              2. Copy into Notepad, correct it, then copy from Notepad into the cell but press ' first in OpenOffice.org.
              should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Wow, that's worth knowing!
                I disable all the autocorrection stuff as the first step after I install it. Also the capitalize first letter crud.

And don't forget to turn off the wretched "Smart quotes" and "replace dash with em dash". Both of those will seriously mess with your head if you are importing/exporting text (e.g CSV) files.

Trust me, if you are getting input files from users, you will probably run into stuff that has this crud in it.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Well its only version 2.4 as I'm running Debian (Lenny) stable which is the only supported version on that release. I could manually upgrade but can't be bothered but did try it on an Oo 3.0 on Windows and the same problem occurred.

But...turning off AutoInput fixed it. Many thanks for that Mr. RichardCranium, a virtual beer for you

Fixed that, have a virtual short to go with that
                  Last edited by darmstadt; 12 November 2009, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Go into Tools, Cell Contents and turn off AutoInput.
                    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    But...turning off AutoInput fixed it. Many thanks for that Mr. HAB, a virtual beer for you
                    May I have a virtual beer too?

Comment

Working...
                    X