• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye to a sporting hero

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye to a sporting hero

Former world champion Burns dies
    Richard Burns, who in 2001 became the first Englishman to win the World Rally Championship, has died at the age of 34 from a brain tumour on the fourth anniversary of his title win.
    Only 34, didn't piss his life away, didn't play football.

Quite a difference wendigo100 isn't it?

If it hadn't been for your post I probably wouldn't have even known it was on the BBC website. Nothing on the front page except "Best mourning continues...", "The day I met...George Best", "Churches pray for Best family", "Football fans honour Best"....

An apt post from the BBC's message board.

"It is sad that his death will be overshadowed this weekend by that of another sportsman and not receive the recognition his passing deserves.

There are similarities: In his own field of world class sport, he was unquestionably world class, just as George Best was in his field. Supremely gifted and pioneering in his achievements; the first englishman to win the World Rally Championship.

However, while GB's passing is a tragic story of self-inflicted damage and a waste during his 59 years, Richard's is a story of a man who made the very best of every one of his 34 years.

As many people have noted, he was a gentleman, a credit to himself, to his sport, to his family, and to his country."

Comment

Any bloke who earned bags of money, got drunk a lot and shagged loads of classy women seems ok with me. Oh yeh football. Boring.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Never mind that!

Mr Miyagi is dead!!!

CNN Article

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Former world champion Burns dies

Only 34, didn't piss his life away, didn't play football.

Yeah! But he's still DEAD!

Comment

one guy did what he did, he chose a life style and lived it, live by the sword die by the sword....

the other guy died due to something that was out of his control.

but the point is they are both DEAD - that is the sad truth.
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Yeah, but what about Mr Miyagi?

Comment

Yeah, but what about Mr Miyagi?
                Bloody useless at rally driving and even more useless at football ?

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                  Bloody useless at rally driving and even more useless at football ?
                  but not bad kicking the sh!t out of people.
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                    but the point is they are both DEAD - that is the sad truth.
                    Exactly, so why all the Diana-esque "Where were you when George died?" b*llocks for some guy who hasn't done b*gger all for thirty years, and people going on about how he 'lived life to the full' when apparently much of it consisted simply of downing a bottle of cheap vino, puking half of it up, then downing another bottle, puking half of it up...etc

Comment

Working...
                    X