• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Oracle User Group - anyone going?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Oracle User Group - anyone going?

Anyone doing the UKOUG Technology and eBusiness Suite conference series at the end of the month?

I'm contemplating going - haven't decided whether it will just be a waste of my money, or a good networking opportunity and chance to maybe get some CVs / business cards out there and find some new work.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I went to a users group meeting once (for a different technology).
    I wish I hadn't bothered

A couple of hastily prepared power point presentations by MVPs, one of which was badly cribbed from a book he didn't help to write. The MVP's seemed to have no concept of time which did them no favours what so ever.

Lots of geeks with beards wearing black t-shirts

Luckily it was free. Although this did mean having to sit through a presentation by a sponser however this was offset by the sponser giving a decent and concise presentation on the product they were trying sell.

As for networking... hiring managers typically don't go to usergroups, they send the people they hire to them.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Didn't they replace Oracle with Teletext about 10 years ago?
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        Didn't they replace Oracle with Teletext about 10 years ago?
        Very droll.

When I first joined Oracle, and no-one knew who they were really, I just used to tell people that I was responsible for page 118 - now and next TV listings. It was much easier, and less sad, than admitting what I really did for a living.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I guess that's a "no", then.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

thinnk i'd rather self operate than go to one of these but if a cuk assembly were to be made as part of it i suppose i could be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              thinnk i'd rather self operate than go to one of these but if a cuk assembly were to be made as part of it i suppose i could be interested.
              It could be treated as a CUK summer vacation
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                It could be treated as a CUK summer vacation
                Only for those in the Southern hemisphere, since it is November 30-December 2nd.

And it's expensive.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Went last year and am not going again. Filled with average consultants scouting for work and not much more.
                  Last edited by oracleslave; 16 November 2009, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Went last year and am not going again. Filled with average consultants scouting for work and not much more.
                    Change of plan. I'll be there on the Monday.

Comment

Working...
                    X