• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skiing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skiing

Has anyone learnt to ski/snowboard?

Thinking of doing winter hoilday to learn to skiing, any tips?

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    Has anyone learnt to ski/snowboard?

Thinking of doing winter hoilday to learn to skiing, any tips?
    Learn at a snowdome first.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Any resorts to go to, good for beginners, decent nightlife?

Cheers

Comment

Cheers
        Pick one up in Austria, Slovakia or Romania and pay in advance for one to one training as part of the package. If you have never been before, anywhere with snow and a gentle slope will be fine for the first week. After that you should be OK to tackle anything but the most extreme.

The biggest shock will be how much it all costs, so the more you can get included and pay for up front, the better- lessons, ski pass, gear etc can more than double the cost of a cheap week away if you are not careful. Also get the best accident and medical insurance (not the same thing and check that what you buy covers skiing accidents) you can just in case.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Learn at a snowdome first.
          WHS

You don't want to waste precious skiing holiday days having to snow plough down the baby slope.

Plus you may find that you just don't like it and end up going somewhere else for your hols
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            Also get the best accident and medical insurance (not the same thing and check that what you buy covers skiing accidents) you can just in case.
            Excellent advice.

I broke my leg the first time I went skiing. Luckily, it was on the last day.....

Comment

Cheers
              Bulgaria but stay in a five star hotel. That way, if you don't get on with the skiing you at least have a bit of luxury (and can watch the Russian mafia going about their business in the hotel bar at night).
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                You don't want to waste precious skiing holiday days having to snow plough down the baby slope.
                Yep - at least get some idea of teh basics before heading off.

I used to ski in Austria and France every year, but haven't been for AGES (wife won't let me take the kids yet). Hated Bulgaria - the only skiing holiday I've been on that I didn't enjoy, and that was the last one that I did.

Make sure you go somewhere that has a decent ski school. Austrian ski school is pretty good, as is the French one. Andorran seems to be quite good as well (from what I saw but didn't have lessons there). MrsF had real problems with the language in Bulgaria and her instructor seemed crap.

Elmau, Schladming and Saalbach seemed pretty good Austrian resorts from what I remember. Austria is prettier than France too, but tends to be lower so may have less snow, and seemed to have more T-bars than chairlifts, so you are on your feet longer each day.

Everyone should go skiing at least twice - once isn't enough to determine whether you like it or not really.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  View Post
                  Nice, you hereby are awarded with +10 ATW silence points, redeemable on demand...

I am going into CUK-silence for the next 10 days for free.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                    Bulgaria but stay in a five star hotel. That way, if you don't get on with the skiing you at least have a bit of luxury (and can watch the Russian mafia going about their business in the hotel bar at night).
                    Thats one of the reasons that I didn't recommend Bulgaria despite having business interests there myself.
                    In the resorts, a good 70% of what you spend goes to the local branch of the Mafia. If you are into drug trafficking, money laundering etc, then maybe this is a venue for you.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X