• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company secretary requirements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company secretary requirements

Since 6 April 2008, the Companies Act 2006 removes the requirement for a private company to have a company secretary.

So, has anyone subsequently done away with having a separate individual performing this role?

I know at the time there were concerns, rightly so, that banks may need time to adjust as they require a company secretary to co-sign when applying to setup a new account.

I would imagine most scenarios like this are no longer an issue as it has been over a year since the change in legislation.

My company structure is very simple with me as sole Director and a family member as a non-salaried company secretary.

In reality, however, I ensure the company secretary requirements are fulfilled so am keen to remove this family member from the company structure in order to remove the 'legal burden' of this role from them.

With regards to the actual process to remove them as company secretary, the article quoted mentions filing form 296 with companies house but this post mentions filing form 288b.

Anyone confirm which is the correct form to use?

I removed my CoSec back in Jan when in filled in my Annual Return. I think you do have to formalise it with 288b.

IIRC, I think you can also do this on the Companies House website.

Comment

The form used to be a 288b but changed to form TM02 1st October.

You can either print this one or file on-line if you are registered for webfiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
        The form used to be a 288b but changed to form TM02 1st October.

You can either print this one or file on-line if you are registered for webfiling.
        Forgot to thank you for this info - muchos gracias.

Comment

Do you have to wait until you give in your Annual Return or can it be done at any time?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X