• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eggs last forever don't they?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eggs last forever don't they?

I've yet to find an egg gone rotten in the fridge. I fancied a quick raw egg (saves cooking, nothing much else about) and knowing that they have been festering in there for a while, looked at the sell-by date. Display-until date is 10th September and best-before 16th September. I've eaten eggs of very unknown vintage before and not had a problem. Sniffing the egg contents didn't induce vomiting either, so it must be okay, right? I'll have just the one.

Hmm - salmonella? Let us know how it goes ...
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Hmm, true. So far so good. I used to regularly eat raw eggs but I suppose it's best to nuke them first.

Comment

Here you go

http://www.cpr-savers.com/Industrial...idiarrhea.html

Comment

I'm thinking this might be more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher View Post
            I'm thinking this might be more useful.
            Really living up to this new "Stoolpusher" nickname then.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              If it's got a lion mark on it the bird it came from will have been vaccinated against Samonella.

That's not to say that the egg won't be tainted though. The shell of an egg is porous, which is why you shouldn't keep them in the fridge with your smelly cheese (unless you want cheesy eggs).

You should really use eggs within a couple of days of laying to get the best out of them, but you can leave them for up to 4 weeks. You're well past that now though, so best to keep it for another 100 days and sell it to somebody who likes chinese food...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have eaten eggs more than 2 months after the 'used by date'.

Shake them and if there is an air bubble in there then they are off. That is what I was told.

Comment

C S Lewis had a thing about eggs going off

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad

I wonder what he meant

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Shake them and if there is an air bubble in there then they are off. That is what I was told.
                    Similar test for the air bubble is to put them in water and see if the pointed end floats up. At least, that's what I've heard, but I often find I put eggs in water and they appear to float up a bit anyway. I presume that if they are genuinely off then the floating with be totally blatant, like standing up in the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X