• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peer Pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peer Pressure

There have been a fair few threads recently where the idea of peer pressure has been raised, usually as an insult. Like in the two minutes thread where people only remember because they want to conform, and cant actually think for themselves. Baa Baa, and all that.

Then we get the other threads where the idea is to use peer pressure to force an unpopular person to change behaviour. Leave a bar of soap on his desk, and all that.

We all like to think we are immune from pressure, we are our own person, we make rational decisions and we are strong-willed.
    But, we all like to think we are clever and sensitive enough to pick up the body language of others to detect if we are doing something wrong and then strong enough to admit we need to change.

What do you reckon ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by Monty Python
    We're all individuals!!!
    Erm, I'm not!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      There have been a fair few threads recently where the idea of peer pressure has been raised, usually as an insult. Like in the two minutes thread where people only remember because they want to conform, and cant actually think for themselves. Baa Baa, and all that.

Then we get the other threads where the idea is to use peer pressure to force an unpopular person to change behaviour. Leave a bar of soap on his desk, and all that.

We all like to think we are immune from pressure, we are our own person, we make rational decisions and we are strong-willed.
      But, we all like to think we are clever and sensitive enough to pick up the body language of others to detect if we are doing something wrong and then strong enough to admit we need to change.

What do you reckon ?

Peer pressure at its worst can lead to what happened in nazi germany.
      At a more benign level, peer pressure in modern Britain is leading to the mass stupidity of the populace.
      So its good to question everything, especially where group emotion is involved.

HTH
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

What do you reckon ?

Like office charity collections. “My niece’s friend is doing a sponsored three legged walk to raise money for one-eyed dogs in Afghanistan”
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Like office charity collections. “My niece’s friend is doing a sponsored three legged walk to raise money for one-eyed dogs in Afghanistan”
          That is done in a quite ugly way in Holland. Charity collectors knock on doors to ask for money; the people who knock on the door are people from your own village or neighbourhood, so they know you. Sometimes they even ask you to write your name on a list with how much money you've given. That's fine if they're collecting for a cause which you find is worthwhile, like cancer research or holidays and entertainment for the terminally sick, but last week someone I considered a friend was at my door collecting money to protect ´the unborn child´. Now OK, I chose to live in a predominantly catholic village, but this feels wrong; I don't agree with the cause but within the village I'd rather keep my opinions to myself. Having said that, I know that a lot of Dutch catholics are very liberal on this issue, but that's besides the point. Someone is using peer pressure for the sake of a political or religious cause, instead of using logical persuasion.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            That is done in a quite ugly way in Holland. Charity collectors knock on doors to ask for money; the people who knock on the door are people from your own village or neighbourhood, so they know you. Sometimes they even ask you to write your name on a list with how much money you've given.
            Remind them of Matthew chapter 6:

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
            Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
            But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
            That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
            Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
              Remind them of Matthew chapter 6:
              Cool! They know I'm an atheist, so they assume I know nothing about their bible. I shall use this one. Thanks.

There's a lot of nonsense in the bible, but there are some nuggets of real wisdom too.

Comment

We sometimes get both strangers and neighbours collecting for this or that at the door. I deal with them all the same way - ask them to leave details of the charity and I will decide whether to send a donation direct. Many of them are 'chuggers' - paid a commission to collect at the door, so donating direct also ensures more of the money goes to the charity. I was quite shocked by one charity raffle ticket costing £2 - the teeny teeny print said that 14p would end up in the charity's pocket!

But that's digressing...

Peer pressure can be good or bad.

The decrease in drink driving for example, since the 1980s, is largely due to its social unacceptability, which is surely another form of peer pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  We sometimes get both strangers and neighbours collecting for this or that at the door. I deal with them all the same way - ask them to leave details of the charity and I will decide whether to send a donation direct. Many of them are 'chuggers' - paid a commission to collect at the door, so donating direct also ensures more of the money goes to the charity. I was quite shocked by one charity raffle ticket costing £2 - the teeny teeny print said that 14p would end up in the charity's pocket!

But that's digressing...

Peer pressure can be good or bad.

The decrease in drink driving for example, since the 1980s, is largely due to its social unacceptability, which is surely another form of peer pressure.
                  Aha. There we have it.
                  According to some of the posters on here, anyone who opposes drink driving is a sheep

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Aha. There we have it.
                    According to some of the posters on here, anyone who opposes drink driving is a sheep

Doesn't that depend on why you oppose drink driving? I oppose drink driving because it seems obvious to me that alcohol's effect on coordination and reactions doesn't combine well with the responsibility of controlling one and a half tons of steel that can move at high speed on public roads where everyone else should be able to use the road as safely as is realistically achievable. Logic makes me opposed to drink driving, not peer pressure.

Comment

Working...
                    X