• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lean Six Sigma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean Six Sigma

Got a freebie tonight if I want it – a training session on Lean Six Sigma at Salford University being held by the Chartered Quality Institute.

I have had a roast meal and a cake for lunch – not sure if I would be better going to the gym, or, if there is something about Six Sigma.

Anyone got any experiences of this, good or otherwise?

Went to a BCS event last night which was very good – hence not sure about two in a row……

If you can get a black belt after a two week course, don't get into any fights.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

OK, own up, who left the asylum door open?

Comment

Looks like you're really getting back in to the dating scene.

I have nothing useful to contribute today, just bored

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Looks like you're really getting back in to the dating scene.

I have nothing useful to contribute today, just bored
          Yes, which is why I am not sure if I should get to Body Attack, aka, babe central, or, go for the university students........

Comment

This is what I am considering tonight - How does this stack up for dating scene potential??

I have the pleasure to invite you to the CQI Manchester World Quality Day Event November 2009 run jointly with COrE, NoEE (North of England Excellence) and Detica (A BAE Systems Company).

The keynote speaker Professor Jiju Antony from the University of Strathclyde will present the Lean Six Sigma subject as an Organisational Excellence Methodology based upon his past and current research comprising:

" Lean Six Sigma for Healthcare & Financial Services.
            " Six Sigma for Small & Medium Sized Enterprises.
            " Continuous Improvement in the Public Sector.
            " Design of Experiments and Taguchi Methods.
            " Statistical Process Control for Healthcare.
            " Process Optimisation.
            " Quality Management Tools and Techniques.

Comment

Wake me up folks.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Sounds like Babe-city!

Comment

LEAN - don't do stuff that's a waste of time.

There you go, free training session and I saved you from spending hours listening to someone tell you the bloody obvious!
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I have worked at a ClientCo that took Lean Sigma seriously.

If you have half a brain or an inkling of common sense, you will be doing what it recommends already.

If you have received any supervisory training (and listened), you will be doing what it says anyway.

If you have a slightly analytical mind, you will be doing what it says from intuition.

Anyone working in IT successfully as a programmer or business analyst or project manager who comes out of a Lean Sigma training session and says "Blimey, that's clever" will be the very first one to do so.

If you got work on a factory production line because you had no qualifications, then got promoted to supervisor after 20 years, and have never done anything more intellectually challenging than lie in the bath and wonder why your belly-button fluff is blue, then you will benefit hugely from Lean Sigma training.

Ready? Here goes:

1. Measure the productivity of your team. (Try not to bugger up their productivity or morale in the process, won't you? That does not come under Lean Sigma, BTW.)

2. Wonder why it is what it is. (Lean Sigma will not teach you how to do this although the training will show you some rather feeble examples that would not tax an intelligent child, probably involving red and white tennis balls and some bloody obvious experiments.)

3. Do something about it. (Try not to bugger up their productivity or morale in the process, won't you? That does not come under Lean Sigma, BTW.)

4. Go to 1.

It really is intended for poorly educated or thick people working in manufacturing. It is not suitable for the typically higher-than-average IQ, continuously-presented-with-challenges, intuitively analytical people that work in IT.

Which means it is great for senior management who think it is the dog's bollocks and they are likely to enforce it upon your dev teams or PSO at the drop of a consultant's hat.
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 12 November 2009, 23:37. Reason: Couldn't spell IQ. :emb:
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X