• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any musos out there?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any musos out there?

Can anyone recommend a decent online supplier of vinyl? I'm obviously talking about records here, not interesting bedtime attire...

No doubt my question will confuse anyone born after about 1980!

I've ordered current stuff from Amazon and found them to be good value, but I'm now trying to replace some of my older CDs with the vinyl releases (I know that sounds totally alien and a bit arse about face to some but I've just spent ££££££££££s on a new turntable, amp and speakers and I'm now totally converted!

I've just had the vinyl version of A New Tide by Gomez delivered and it sounds a gazillion times better than the CD!

Old school FTW!!!!

For anyone interested:

Pro-Ject RPM 6.1SB Turntable
    Naim NAIT Express Amp
    Focal Chorus 714V Floorstanders

And I was only going to buy an Ipod Dock.........

My mate collects vinyl, gets a lot from eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
      (I know that sounds totally alien and a bit arse about face to some but I've just spent ££££££££££s on a new turntable, amp and speakers and I'm now totally converted!
      Me too. I buy records from jumble sales, record markets, second hand shops, car boot sales, anywhere I can find them. Still looking for some of the old indie stuff from the 80's though.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've tried Ebay

but the condition of the one's I've received have been not quite as advertised!

I'm really looking for a dedicated supplier that maybe someone has used and can vouch for....

Comment

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=1&oq=
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks for the google idea....never thought of that

Is there anyone who has ACTUALLY used a supplier and can say "yes, I have used company A and they are really good"....

Comment

If you are looking for newer stuff, try this lot...

http://www.banquetrecords.com/search.jsp?query=vinyl

Chap I know gets his stuff from there.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The only one I've got experience with is Hard To Find Records, but they deal mostly with electronic music and I don't think thats what you're after
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  The only one I've got experience with is Hard To Find Records, but they deal mostly with electronic music and I don't think thats what you're after
                  HTFR are good and been going a long time. I have bought a fair few bits of vinyl from Ebay and if the quality is not as advertised then send it back. Another good market place is http://www.discogs.com/ - lots of individual collectors selling.

Long live vinyl

Comment

Hiss crackle pop maybe but at least the hisses, crackles and pops sound good!

I just wish I'd redisovered the joys of the blackstuff before.... I tried one of those crappy USB turntables and wasn't impressed - it sounded dreadful. Now I've got a "real" turntable I'm becoming the vinyl evangelist!

I'll give the ones recommended a try and give some feedback.

Comment

Working...
                    X