• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swine flu cases drop in England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swine flu cases drop in England

linky

Summary of the explanation from the experts - "but...but...but....no, wait".

The hype of the decade perhaps, or was it bird flu? Or WMDs?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Or perhaps we should count ourselves lucky rather than complaining. The chances are something particularly nasty will appear one of these years, and modern travel patterns probably mean it'll be virtually impossible to contain.

Swine flu was a fascinating opportunity to observe the spread of a new disease, and (as it turned out) a chance to have a dry run for something more vicious next time.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Co-incidence time, but me and girly have just got our invites for government flu shots. They're giving them out in priority order here. I'm booked for early tomorrow morning, girly is week 5, 2010.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Or perhaps we should count ourselves lucky rather than complaining. The chances are something particularly nasty will appear one of these years, and modern travel patterns probably mean it'll be virtually impossible to contain.

Swine flu was a fascinating opportunity to observe the spread of a new disease, and (as it turned out) a chance to have a dry run for something more vicious next time.
        A fair point...but the problem is that if something nasty does come along, governments will have cried wolf so often, and/or spun things like swine flu and bird flu so often (to take attention away from things they would rather not have people focus on) - that the likely reaction from the masses will be "yeah right, pull the other one".
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          linky

Summary of the explanation from the experts - "but...but...but....no, wait".
          Are you reading a different article from me? Or is it just a problem of poor education/low IQ?

That article says there's been an expected downward blip due to half-term. And the graph shows medium term the rise has not stopped.

HTH
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Are you reading a different article from me? Or is it just a problem of poor education/low IQ?

That article says there's been an expected downward blip due to half-term. And the graph shows medium term the rise has not stopped.

HTH
            I am curious, it is possible for you to contribute to ANY threads without being offensive? What a sad existence you must lead if this is all you can do to get your jollies.

Anyway, I read the phrase "But experts warned against assuming the pandemic had peaked, saying it could be a "half-term effect" - flu rates tend to be higher when schools are open." Hence my "but...but...but" comment.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              I am curious, it is possible for you to contribute to ANY threads without being offensive? What a sad existence you must lead if this is all you can do to get your jollies.

Anyway, I read the phrase "But experts warned against assuming the pandemic had peaked, saying it could be a "half-term effect" - flu rates tend to be higher when schools are open." Hence my "but...but...but" comment.
              I contribute to many threads without being offensive but I must admit to a lack of patience with idiotic conclusions - something that seems rife on this forum where the most unaccomplished/ill educated individuals pontificate on questions of e.g. epidemiology without the least idea of the discipline involved.

But I stand corrected. I suppose I ought to be more patient - one can't help one's genetic attributes and/or poor education.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I get the low down on this subject from the top and believe me it is not the doctors that press the panic button. It seems that you are forming this response from what you have read in the papers and not what the doctors have been saying all along... "Let's just see how it goes but we are prepared for the worst, we do not think that it will be bad"

They tried to get the press to give it up ( I know that for a fact ) but when the press are screaming millions will die and then they don't you have to ask yourself who got it wrong? Who got it right?

Comment

I like how children are classified as "super-spreaders". Or dirty little oiks in common parlance.

Comment

Working...
                  X