• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

80% Take Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80% Take Home

My accountant promised me 80% take home but now when I calculate my actual income it is 60% of what I am gettting so If I get 500 pounds per day my corporation tax is about 20% and tax on my dividend is about 20% so actual take home is 300 pounds perday but accountant is saying it is 80% as your take home is 400 pounds...

Can some one please tell me if he is correct?

as corp tax is 21% you will be pushing it to get 80%

there will be deductions for salary (£6k ish)
    expenses (£20k ish)
    and then depening on the amount of dividends, some extra tax to pay

so finger in air calcs
    earn £110k
    sal £7k
    exp £12k
    gross profit £91k
    corp tax £19k
    dividends £72k
    extra tax £10k

take home (72+7)-10=69k
    so 69/110 is about 63%
    Last edited by JonSmile; 12 November 2009, 22:23.
    Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by dk27 View Post
      My accountant promised me 80% take home but now when I calculate my actual income it is 60% of what I am gettting so If I get 500 pounds per day my corporation tax is about 20% and tax on my dividend is about 20% so actual take home is 300 pounds perday but accountant is saying it is 80% as your take home is 400 pounds...

Will your accountant sign a contract to guarantee that you will get 80%??
      No??
      You wont be getting 80% then.

Better find some expenses to bump up your take home.

PZZ

Comment

Sounds like the usual sales guff that many number bods and umbrella shops try to pedal.

My net income last year was around 72%
        (calculated as: invoices - ltdco running costs - commuting costs - paye+ni - corp tax - extra self assessment)

But... some of that money has been held in ltdco (to avoid higher rate tax on extraction) and some put into a pension, but I count it as net income because it is still mine and not Hector's.
        Last edited by moorfield; 12 November 2009, 22:36.

Comment

£20k on expenses? Your legitimate business expenses are more than many people's gross salaries?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            Sounds like the usual sales guff that many number bods and umbrella shops try to pedal.

My net income last year was around 72%
            (calculated as: invoices - ltdco running costs - commuting costs - paye+ni - corp tax - extra self assessment)

But... some of that money has been held in ltdco (to avoid higher rate tax on extraction) and some put into a pension, but I count it as net income because it is still mine and not Hector's.
            The part you have left in the company is not yours

Nor is all of your pension

Comment

My accountant promised me 80% take home
              Your accountant lied. Sack him and find a decent one.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                £20k on expenses? Your legitimate business expenses are more than many people's gross salaries?
                Mine are.

A year of flights and hotels soon racks up.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Mine are.

A year of flights and hotels soon racks up.
                  Mine are at least double -- costing me £500/600 per week working down London way -- soon adds up to a lot of money !!!

Comment

You are taking home about 80% of company net profits. You are indeed only paying about 20% of your gross income in tax. But of course the company is not free to pay you all of its income as dividend, not until the company has paid tax on its profit.

Did he promise you that you would take home 80% of billing? If so, he is a liar. If he merely said you would take home 80% and left you to assume that he meant 80% of billing, then he is not a liar but rather some different sort of slimy dishonest reptile. Apologies to all decent reptiles.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
                    X