• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Humph. Annoyed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humph. Annoyed.

A stark choice between two contracts appeared, out of the blue, at the beginning of the week. One based 40 miles away for a blue chip finance client, v good rate and an excellent role for the CV. The other based 1 mile away for a previous client - nowhere near the same rate, and a much less interesting role. Positively awful role actually, but hey ho.

Given my status as new mummy, I bit the bullet and gave the go ahead for the role with the previous client.

Heard today that the rate has suddenly dropped by 50 quid a day, and they will not budge. Explained my displeasure to agent (who I know isn't making it up, as I have contacts at clientco) and asked them to ask for some compromise, given that I know the client, account, and programme of work inside out. No go.

Client was probably exploiting my situation as they know I have very little choice; and of course they are right.

Now been told they have 'concerns' about risking offering me a contract based on my unhappiness with the rate, as I might go and find something better. Can't win. I s'pose I was cheeky to dare to kick up a fuss
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    they have 'concerns' about risking offering me a contract based on my unhappiness with the rate
    well, they know what they can do to remove that little problem don't they?
    Letting the customer pick their own price is always a bad idea.

Comment

No. You were not being cheeky. You were being professional. They dropped the rate from the one advertised. Bad luck, hopefully something more suitable will turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Letting the customer pick their own price is always a bad idea.
        I didn't have much choice!
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Any way you could do some of the work at home? Would they agree?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
            Any way you could do some of the work at home? Would they agree?
            Nah, and it's never something I want to broach before the start of a role, looks bad I think. Given that they know I'm a single mother they will assume the worst I expect. Fluff them, I will get something else soon hopefully.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Call the other ones back and tell them you were expecting a call back from them, what went wrong, how come they are being non-communicative etc, GET THE GIG!¬!

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                Call the other ones back and tell them you were expecting a call back from them, what went wrong, how come they are being non-communicative etc, GET THE GIG!¬!

PZZ
                Ha ha are you drinking? Sounded a bit manic, that. I did email the other agent today actually and said I was still up for the role, he said he will contact his client as they did like my CV. So who knows, cross your fingers!
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Ha ha are you drinking? Sounded a bit manic, that. I did email the other agent today actually and said I was still up for the role, he said he will contact his client as they did like my CV. So who knows, cross your fingers!
                  Well I like your CV amongst other things, so good luck and keep up the pressure!

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                    Well I like your CV amongst other things, so good luck and keep up the pressure!

PZZ
                    Gosh, well, give me a flippin' job then!
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X