• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mother of all carry trades faces an inevitable bust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting article by a well know trader here:

http://www.chrislori.com/index_files...able-bust.html

Too long to include, but these paragraphs caught my eye:

"So what is behind this massive rally? Certainly it has been helped by a wave of liquidity from near-zero interest rates and quantitative easing. But a more important factor fuelling this asset bubble is the weakness of the US dollar, driven by the mother of all carry trades. The US dollar has become the major funding currency of carry trades as the Fed has kept interest rates on hold and is expected to do so for a long time. Investors who are shorting the US dollar to buy on a highly leveraged basis higher-yielding assets and other global assets are not just borrowing at zero interest rates in dollar terms; they are borrowing at very negative interest rates – as low as negative 10 or 20 per cent annualised – as the fall in the US dollar leads to massive capital gains on short dollar positions. "

...Either way, the carry trade bubble will get worse: if there is no forex intervention and foreign currencies appreciate, the negative borrowing cost of the carry trade becomes more negative. If intervention or open market operations control currency appreciation, the ensuing domestic monetary easing feeds an asset bubble in these economies. So the perfectly correlated bubble across all global asset classes gets bigger by the day.

But one day this bubble will burst, leading to the biggest co-ordinated asset bust ever: if factors lead the dollar to reverse and suddenly appreciate – as was seen in previous reversals, such as the yen-funded carry trade – the leveraged carry trade will have to be suddenly closed as investors cover their dollar shorts. A stampede will occur as closing long leveraged risky asset positions across all asset classes funded by dollar shorts triggers a co-ordinated collapse of all those risky assets – equities, commodities, emerging market asset classes and credit instruments.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    That'll be a day to open the popcorn and just watch.

Long term the dollar is toast, but bound to be a correction soon.

Comment

So the question is, how does one make money from this?
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You could simply open a dollar denominated bank account, put a large wedge of money in and when the dollar suddenly becomes strong, convert it to GBP, or simply put a spread bet on (tax free gains).

Comment

As UK residents can we borrow dollar at near zero interest rate and invest in higher yield ? Any thoughts ?

The japanese carry trade went on for a long time before reversing , I expect the same thing will happen here. The bubble will grow bigger in the short term before it pops in the long term.
          Does that mean equities,commodities and emerging markets will still go higher in the short term?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            As UK residents can we borrow dollar at near zero interest rate and invest in higher yield ? Any thoughts ?

The japanese carry trade went on for a long time before reversing , I expect the same thing will happen here. The bubble will grow bigger in the short term before it pops in the long term.
            Does that mean equities,commodities and emerging markets will still go higher in the short term?
            Who is going to lend you, a UK cizitizen, USD?

The bubble will keep growing until the US start burning the money they have printed. That's got to be at least a year away, so for now it's free money, invest in anything, fill yer boots, you cannot lose.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              So the question is, how does one make money from this?
              Just buy Ultrashort Dow Short Exhange Traded Fund shares.

Basically you are buying a share that mimics selling the Dow Jones Index, but at 2x leverage. So for every point the Dow moves down, your shares will increase by twice that amount.

Not only that, but you are paying for it in £££s at the current exchange rate. Your ETF shares will be denominated in dollars. So if the $ rises (which it will if shares crash), you will profit on the exchange rate too when you eventually sell the shares.

This is why my 10 month old is holding Dow Ultrashort in her child trust fund. Daddy may have to ask her for some money when she is older
              Last edited by SantaClaus; 13 November 2009, 10:41.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

And for every point the Dow moves up, you lose double.

Also, watch out for the leveraged ETF's!

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=271892

They do not work as you think and reset daily.

In every leveraged ETF report that we write, we warn investors that the math behind daily compounding will not work because of compounding arithmetic and constant leverage, but I get the feeling that the message is not getting across. I'm visualizing many readers' eyes becoming glazed at the very thought of walking through the algebra, so I'll try to make it as exciting as algebra can get. But please stick with me. ........

That's why compounding of daily returns is the dead horse that apparently needs a little more beating. Leveraged and inverse ETFs are NOT meant to be held as long-term investments. Let me repeat myself: Very bad things not only can happen whenever you hold these ETFs longer than their indicated compounding period (typically one day for stock-based ETFs, sometimes monthly for commodities),

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Just buy Ultrashort Dow Short Exhange Traded Fund shares.

Basically you are buying a share that mimics selling the Dow Jones Index, but at 2x leverage. So for every point the Dow moves down, your shares will increase by twice that amount.

Not only that, but you are paying for it in £££s at the current exchange rate. Your ETF shares will be denominated in dollars. So if the $ rises (which it will if shares crash), you will profit on the exchange rate too when you eventually sell the shares.

This is why my 10 month old is holding Dow Ultrashort in her child trust fund. Daddy may have to ask her for some money when she is older
                  you make it sound so easy.

so are you creating wealth or just finding clever ways of moving money around ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    you make it sound so easy.

so are you creating wealth or just finding clever ways of moving money around ?

The fact that Santa has a leveraged ETF in a trust fund for a child shows (as sasguru pointed out) that he has no understanding of what he is doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X