• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic agent quote!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic agent quote!

Open to both permie work and contracting (need to feed the family after all!) Imagine the words from my lips when I got the following response from an agent.......

"the role I am currently recruiting for is with a client that is fussy about career path and therefore your recent freelance work would mean I couldn’t put you forward."

I wrote back and said that was discrimination..........no reply as yet!!

Is that fthe first time you have come across that? Trust me, it will not be the last. And it is not a form of discrimination you can do anything about.

Many employers will not consider contractors for permie roles.

I have been applying for permie roles on and off for ten years and the norm is rejection because "You've been contracting".

You see, you're a dodgy contractor now and not to be trusted not to clear off to another client for an extra £50 a year.

You need to big up how you see contracts through to the end, that you have never walked, and some appropriately plausible story as to why you will just die if you don't get into permie work.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It's pretty valid, there's plenty of permie jobs out there, that they don't want filled by "ex" contractors, because they (rightly) fear that as soon as the market picks up they'll be off. And let's face it, you prob would...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        You need to big up how you see contracts through to the end, that you have never walked, and some appropriately plausible story as to why you will just die if you don't get into permie work.

Usually "starting a family and need stability" etc etc is quite good.

Comment

You are the career equivalent of a crack whore.

Stick to giving clients a quick blow for £20.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
            Usually "starting a family and need stability" etc etc is quite good.
            Really?

"So, you want to be a permie here so you can claim paternity leave? You cheeky sod. Get back to your dodgy contracting."

I would not have expected "Starting a family" to work for men these days, just as it has always been the wrong thing for women to say.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Do something else, for yourself. I'm a qualified personal fitness trainer; it gives me another option, and if next week's interview doesn't turn out positive, I'm going to do it. I'll do it anyway, it would just be nice to have a bit more money first.

Look around and think of what you can do as a self employed person. Really I think that even buying a chip van and driving around council estates is probably better than permiedom.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You need to lie on your CV, stretch dates and turn old contracts into perm roles.

Your recent contracts could be seen as proactive in a tough market whilst you've been looking for another job.

I've been too honest all my life and it's got me nowhere, time to live up to image they already have of contractors.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Really?

"So, you want to be a permie here so you can claim paternity leave? You cheeky sod. Get back to your dodgy contracting."

I would not have expected "Starting a family" to work for men these days, just as it has always been the wrong thing for women to say.
                  Paternity is a week. You have a nice little lady sitting at home playing wifee while you earn the crust as the only bread winner. IE you'll work your nuts of for your family. A lot of businesses like this...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                    Paternity is a week.
                    Two weeks, apparently. Anyway, sorry, my mistake, for some reason I was under the impression paternity leave had been upped to six months.

Link proving myself wrong:

Paternity Leave & Pay

The right to paid paternity leave under the Employment Act 2002 is in addition to the 13 unpaid weeks' parental leave entitlement. The entitlement is two weeks paid leave. The leave is paid at the same rate as Statutory Maternity Pay, £123.06 per week (or 90% of the employees average weekly earnings if this is less). An employer is entitled to reclaim Paternity Pay from the government.

Comment

Working...
                    X