PDA

View Full Version : Christmas shopping

thunderlizard
13th November 2009, 14:14
...starts next week. I always try to finish it before the start of December, because then the shops get busy and it makes me want to start biting people :D.

Present ideas welcome.

DiscoStu
13th November 2009, 14:16
Last year I got it all done in one lunch time, including gift wrapping.

Gotta love the interweb!

Paddy
13th November 2009, 14:56
Was going to post a Christmas Stopping thread about parking, but I didn't want to end the day standing outside the admin's office ready the take a thrashing. :spank:

Clippy
13th November 2009, 15:05
...starts next week. I always try to finish it before the start of December, because then the shops get busy and it makes me want to start biting people :D.

Present ideas welcome.

Who are you buying for?

conned tractor
13th November 2009, 15:11
Missus has done three quarters plus of it having bought most of the kids, teenager type stuff - so the easier ones as they either don't know what they want yet or want most things.

This now leaves the harder ones such as parents etc for me to do - great. Socks and other such rubbish all the way me thinks. Any idea for parents?

thunderlizard
13th November 2009, 15:13
Various. Parents, grandparents, siblings, tiny cousins. I like to buy things that people would never buy themselves in a million years, but turn out to actually like.

Diestl
13th November 2009, 15:18
Chirstmas is a load of rubbish, why do people still celebrate it!

conned tractor
13th November 2009, 15:18
With regard to the smaller ones. We choose to buuy wooden toys for the smaller ones - I just prefer it to plastic for small peoples toys. When the missus came back she said that some of the stuff she wanted for the littler ones was the last one or not available. She questioned this with the sales assistant who said it seems like people have gone mad for wooden toys this year.

sasguru
13th November 2009, 15:19

:laugh:laugh:laugh

DaveB
13th November 2009, 15:36
We bought a load of smallish whicker hampers from a wholesaler on the web and will be filling them with bits and pieces according to who they are for. Grandad gets a bottle of rum, a posh fruit cake and a cricket trivia book, Mum gets gardening stuff, gloves, a trowel, gardening book etc. Finished off with chocolates or other christmas edibles. One for each adult or adult couple.

Assorted sprogs get cuddly toys ( Under 5 ), chocolates ( 5-10 ) or cash ( Teenagers ) unless a specific request has been made.

thunderlizard
13th November 2009, 15:38
A top idea. Christmas bento!

Moscow Mule
13th November 2009, 15:55

When I lived in Lambeth, we celebrated "Winterval".

TheFaQQer
13th November 2009, 17:04
Finished my Christmas shopping in August.

Gonzo
14th November 2009, 04:11
Finished my Christmas shopping in August.That's a bit risky isn't it.

What happens if one of the people that you have put all that effort into choosing a suitable gift for dies in the meantime?

NickFitz
14th November 2009, 05:44
Present ideas welcome.

At present, my ideas are:

I must write up that stuff about the inconsistent behaviour of Gecko's implementation of setInterval;
I must re-implement that nifty SVG graph thing for representing the variations found in various browsers' implementations of setInterval (Opera shows some fascinating patterns - 31ms seems to give the most consistent performance);
I must remember to implement that SVG graph thing in such a way that I can override relevant methods with a VML implementation for IE, because those retards at Microsoft still haven't got around to implementing SVG, but as I'm generating the content with client-side scripts I can easily work around their fail;
I really should stop thinking about this and go to bed.

...and you're welcome to them.

I think I'll deal with the last one first :wave:

norrahe
14th November 2009, 11:49
Inteweb next week.

Ask people what they'd like, buy that.

People will also be getting , home made chutneys (no spoons), jams, fudge, chilli oils and truffles.

TheFaQQer
14th November 2009, 17:18
That's a bit risky isn't it.

What happens if one of the people that you have put all that effort into choosing a suitable gift for dies in the meantime?

Then the gift goes to someone else, back to the shop, to the charity shop, or to the local church collection that they do each year.

Touch wood, it's yet to be a problem - and we give to charity instead of buying my 95 year old granddad a present for birthday and Christmas.

norrahe
14th November 2009, 19:18
Touch wood, it's yet to be a problem - and we give to charity instead of buying my 95 year old granddad a present for birthday and Christmas.

The charity thing is always a good idea, why buy tat for people who won't appreciate the gift anyway?

With my folks in another country I tend to buy summat from oxfam for them.

HairyArsedBloke
14th November 2009, 19:44
I was going to mention this earlier this week. I’ve had two completely separate people ask me about cheese knives (http://www.aspshop.net/upload/upimg6/Cheese-Knife-Set-4896.jpg)this week. The reason they asked is because they knew I used to regularly do the cheese board when out for dinner.

They might be the fashionable gift this year – you heard it here first (it’s probably been on telly, but I don’t get to watch much these days).

OwlHoot
14th November 2009, 21:33
I must remember to implement that SVG graph thing in such a way that I can override relevant methods with a VML implementation for IE, because those retards at Microsoft still haven't got around to implementing SVG ...

I'm not sure IE will ever support SVG natively, because one can download an Adobe plugin (although Adobe have announced they are not supporting this for much longer).

FireFox's support is improving, but still doesn't support the "g" element, which means you can't define an image element and repeat it. :mad

I also heard the SVG standards wallahs had a huge bust up recently about its future direction, and there was talk of abandoning the whole thing. So given that, and Adobe's dismissive attitude to its own former creation, I wouldn't reply too much on it for future Plan Bs.

It would be a damned shame if it did become obsolete, although doubtless there would be equivalent and better standards to replace it.

thunderlizard
18th November 2009, 16:56
...was completely unsuccessful.

voodooflux
18th November 2009, 17:16
...was completely unsuccessful.

You didn't get lost (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8365665.stm) did you?

thunderlizard
18th November 2009, 17:33
Not that bad! I had my first go on the Oxford Circus diagonal crossing and lived to tell the tale.