• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Static decimal members

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static decimal members

Obscure bit of .NET that I hadn't noticed in my many years of it:
    there are static members for decimal.One, decimal.Zero and decimal.MinusOne.

Prudent of Microsoft to have reserved themselves the ability to adopt their own definitions of these numbers in future: but if they want to change any other numbers they're stuck.

StackOverflow is normally great, but it struggles with this one:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...-minusone-in-c

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Obscure bit of .NET that I hadn't noticed in my many years of it:
    there are static members for decimal.One, decimal.Zero and decimal.MinusOne.

Prudent of Microsoft to have reserved themselves the ability to adopt their own definitions of these numbers in future: but if they want to change any other numbers they're stuck.

StackOverflow is normally great, but it struggles with this one:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...-minusone-in-c
    Don't tell me you've been using the plain vanilla 0,1 and -1 in your code!

It's a bit like "" vs string.Empty

It's readability for squinty eyed techies.

Comment

I know, I've been using "magic numbers" all this time and am heartily sorry!

From here on in, it's going to be:

Code:
      for(decimal d=decimal.Zero; d<things.Count; d+=decimal.One)
      {
      }

Comment

So they can at a later date put a better optimized 1 in place and you wont have to change your code.

Comment

You think so? That is as plausible as anything I suppose. But something tells me that the people worried about the performance of their 1's aren't using .NET in the first place.

Comment

Forth (FORTH if you prefer) used to define 0, 1, 2, -1 and -2 as constants - it could be a win for an indirect-threaded implementation running on something like a 6809 or a Z80.

Of course, there was nothing to stop you redefining them:

Code:
            : 0 ( - n) ." Hello World" 3 ;

: 1 ( - n) CAKE BAKE  42 ;

: -1 ( - n)  R> DROP [ BASE @ DECIMAL 36 BASE ! ] FAIL [ BASE ! ] ;

Comment

Working...
            X