PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps

DaveB
13th November 2009, 15:56
Anyone else noticed Google Maps has been slower than a slow thing on a slow day for a while now?

It still hasnt loaded the directions pane now. I eventually went to the AA site to get the route plan I wanted, that popped up in a matter of seconds complete with map - Powered By Google.
:confused:

thunderlizard
13th November 2009, 15:58
Yes and I quite like it. I'm working on a google maps mashup app, and if users get used to waiting ages for the tiles to load, they hardly notice my server trips to fetch the markers.

DaveB
13th November 2009, 16:07
Had to laugh at this though.

Google Maps is advertising the fact that they now have the Canaries on Steet View.

Somehow I dont think this (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/11/street_view_canaries/)is what they intended you too see when you click the link.... :D

RichardCranium
13th November 2009, 16:07
I'm glad you posted that. I have been wondering what it is about my configuration / cache / history / memory usage / whatever that means it takes so long.

Also, web sites that embed a little Googlemap take yonks.

Crap, innit?

NickFitz
13th November 2009, 16:29
It's working at lightning speed for me - whether in ClientOrg's office, over the hotel wi-fi, or over broadband at home :confused:

It seemed to be a bit slow occasionally a couple of months ago, but it's been fine since then.

RichardCranium
13th November 2009, 16:52
With remarkable synergy (hence my remarking upon it), I followed the above links and got as far as Internet Exploder starting to fire up the StreetView. That was on my desktop.

I am now logged in on my laptop as IE is still not responding. :eyes

Spacecadet
13th November 2009, 17:11
its running very fast for me in IE8 on windows 7
but not so fast in IE8 on windows XP

(Same 3 year old laptop, so not a hardware issue)