• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a sado !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a sado !

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/

"Activision Blizzard has sold a record 4.7 million copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in North America and Britain alone, taking in $310 million (¤208.5 million). The game was released on Tuesday. Chris Cullen from Surrey, above, was the first UK customer to buy it, having waited for 23 hours in camouflage outside HMV at London’s Trocadero"

At least it keeps them locked up in their bedrooms for the next month and means the rest of us don't have to mix with them. But if they want to run around with guns and get frequent adrenalin rushes why don't they sign up and get themselves over to Afghanistan, plenty of that kind of excitement there.

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    having waited for 23 hours in camouflage outside HMV at London’s Trocadero
    well I never saw him.

Comment

No different to football saddoes, golf saddoes, board game saddoes, reality TV saddoes, programming saddoes, cricket saddoes, or indeed anyone else who enjoys a hobby with passion.

You don't really have a point to make.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

oh, saddo! I thought he actually meant "sado" & was going to point out that strictly, he was acting more like a masochist than a sadist.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          No different to football saddoes, golf saddoes, board game saddoes, reality TV saddoes, programming saddoes, cricket saddoes, or indeed anyone else who enjoys a hobby with passion.

You don't really have a point to make.
          The point is that spending 10 hours a day in front of a screen living your life vicariously through an invented screen character is not much of a life. Personally I would prefer to get out their and live my own life. But each to their own.

Comment

why don't they sign up and get themselves over to Afghanistan, plenty of that kind of excitement there.
            Not quite
            1. In Afghanistan you can't shout for a rematch after getting shot in the head (several times in one day)

2. In Afghanistan you don't get told to turn that damn thing off and get ready for school

3. Actual warfare is at least 90% tedium
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

The point is that spending 10 hours a day in front of a screen living your life vicariously through an invented screen character is not much of a life. Personally I would prefer to get out their and live my own life. But each to their own.
              Are you stereotyping gamers? I manage to ride bikes, cook, change nappies, and use a .50 cal to headshot from 400m... 733t skillz.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Are you stereotyping gamers? I manage to ride bikes, cook, change nappies, and use a .50 cal to headshot from 400m... 733t skillz.
                All this from the comfort of your armchair, eh?

Comment

It did appear to be.

The irony is, that gamers could be justified in seeing others in the same way, eg, men crying at football matches.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I probably am, but if you read my original post it is about a guy who dresses up in camouflage gear and helmet and waits for 23 hours outside a shop in Picadilly Circus to buy a disc. So I'm not talking here about an average gamer who plays for a couple of hours at a time...

Comment

Working...
                    X